Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Newbie - lost Organising Coppermine  (Read 3362 times)

glennk

• Coppermine novice
[Solved]: Newbie - lost Organising Coppermine
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:02 am »

Hi There,

I am a newbie and completely lots. I headed straight for the general support/discussion board but I think its locked ? Where is the best place to ask for basic help ?

I have just installed coppermine and bridged it with SMF forum. Before I let it go live on my site I want to work a few things out.

With regards to albums and categories. What is the best way to organise these for a community ? Does each member have his her own album ? or is it possible to have several albums that people contribute to ?

I run a fishing site so have this idea in my head of a sea fishing album, a corse fishing album, a game fishing album, an album for rough seas, an album for wildlife pics. These forums would be open to all members to add their pics.

Would this be a good way to proceed ? is it possible ?

Any advice would be helpful.

If the admin team move this topic could they please leave me a redirect.

Kindest Regards - Glenn ???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:52:09 pm by Nibbler »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Newbie - lost Organising Coppermine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:24 pm »

The general discussion board is locked on purpose. It's exactly the board where your question wouldn't have belonged in, so our decision to keep you from posting there was OK.

There can be no general recommendation how you're supposed to set up your gallery, as we can't know what you need. If your users need to be able to create albums of their own, you have to give them the permission to have personal galleries. If you (as admin) want them to upload into pre-defined category/album structures, you shouldn't grant them the privilege to create their own personal galleries, but only give them upload permissions to public galleries.

glennk

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »

Hi and thanks for your reply. Do I sense you are a little peeved with my question ? (sorry for asking but forums arent the best place for understanding the feeling behind what people are saying?)

WRT my question - So it is possible to have albums already created that members can all put their pictures into. So if I create a couple of albums for examples sake - big fish, and another called rough seas then forum members can post pics of big fish into that album and pics of rough seas into the rough seas album ?

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:55 pm »

Yes. It's just a matter of creating the albums and setting up the relevant permissions. It's all in the documentation.

glennk

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »

Ok I have set up 9 albums in 2 categories. I made them all public albums. I have logged out and logged in as a test user. I tried to upload and it says I have no albums to upload to ? yet I know I created 9 as an admin.

I checked permissions in groups and registered users have :

allowed Yes
approval no

in the public galleries

Whu wont it let me upload pictures as a registerd user ?

mentalist3d

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • http://concepts.org.uk
    • Concept Art
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:23:34 pm »

Can you post a link to your gallery and let us test it?

Nibbler

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:43:34 pm »

Album properties - 'visitors can upload files' needs to be enabled.

glennk

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/members-gallery/

Does allowing visitors to upload files mean that guests can upload ? if so this isnt what Im after. As Ive bridged it with smf I only want the forum members to be able to upload.

you can register for the gallery by registering in the forum ?

Nibbler

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:30:27 pm »

Does allowing visitors to upload files mean that guests can upload ?

No. Visitors and guests are different things. Please read the manual.

mentalist3d

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • http://concepts.org.uk
    • Concept Art
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 05:46:21 pm »

When your setting the properties of your album, where it says: Visitors can upload files click the question mark icon and it will give you a helpful hint: Note that only visitors who are members of a group for which the setting "Can upload pictures" is set to YES. Members not in the permitted group will not be able to upload files into such an album. Non-registered users are members of the "Anonymous" group. translation, guests cannot upload pics :-)

Once you've set permissions on uploading to public albums, sign out the admin account and create a new account as a normal user would, then explore the accounts limitations and settings (can they upload to the albums, etc.). Any probs sign back in as the admin and fix your settings.

glennk

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:49:05 pm »

Ah thankyou. Think if I had trawled the manual for days I never would have got that. That's some strange logic going on there. Thankyou for taking the time to explain that as it's now sorted my problem. Here was me thinking I would never get it sorted and you helped me in no time at all. Support forums in places like this are worth their weight in gold. Dont you just hate those places where you go and the first thing they say is go away and read. Sort of defeats the object of a forum really - again STRAAAAANGE LOGIC  ;D ;D. The first lesson for any forum mod should be - Never tell anyone to go away.

Many thanks again and tight lines to you all.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: [Solved]: Newbie - lost Organising Coppermine
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:05:18 am »

Nope, that's wrong: Issues that are not being mentioned in the docs are supposed to be discussed in the forums. We assume that people read the docs before posting. In fact it's even a board rule that you agreed to respect when signing up. It's not you who makes up the rules what should be discussed in this forum. The supporters are sick having to explain over and over stuff that has already been discussed many times. The forum is not the place where we repeat sections of the docs. I suggest reviewing your attitude.

glennk

• Coppermine novice
Re: [Solved]: Newbie - lost Organising Coppermine
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:45 pm »

Very Novel Jochim  ;D

A forum where insults are par for the coarse. Your choice I guess. Prior to making my last post I read around the forum. The amount of times you lay into people for not reading the notes is amazing. Like I say if I had read the notes the penny still wouldnt have dropped. For some of us we need a little more help. Thanks to Mentalist for taking the time to offer that support.

One of the things I hate most about forums is when as a newbie you make a post and some over controlling mod lays into you for not reading first. Why have a forum if your not allowed to ask question ?

I have run several forums for many years now. If someone asks a question I have seen many times before I just let someone else answer it. I dont give them a load of greif, and the day I do will be the day I decide to pack up.

The ehtos of a forum is to discuss. It looks like that is lost with you.

I bid you good day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.