Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Can't/won't create log file  (Read 2821 times)

hodograph

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: Can't/won't create log file
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:53:14 pm »

Running cpg 1.4.10.

In config-> logging and statistics I've turned on all logs.  In fact, I did this nearly a month ago.

If logs, are being generated (I suspect they're not) I can't seem to find them.  Clicking "view logs" from that same location returns "No Logs Created".  Access from the "admin tools" button returns the same result.

Clearly I'm not doing something correctly...any help would be appreciated.  Searched the forums and didn't find what I was looking for--if my query needs "refinement", I accept the help!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:32:52 pm by Joachim Müller »

Nibbler

Re: Can't/won't create log file
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:01:44 pm »

Is the logs directory writable?

hodograph

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:09 pm »

The logs directory permissions are set to 755

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »

That doesn't answer the question.

hodograph

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:49:09 am »

Sorry 'bout that.  I thought I was answering your question.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Lemme try this.  As the webadmin user, I can enter the logs directory on my webserver, create a new text file, and edit it.

I don't know if the permissions on that directory are set to allow the cpg process that creates the log file to write there however. 

Let me know if that's a better answer or not  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:26:28 am »

We can't tell you what level of permissions is needed on your webserver. It is entirely up to the server admin (i.e. the webhost) to determine what privieleges are needed. Read the permission section of the docs to try to figure out. If you can't, do as suggested there as well: ask your webhost for support. The script (i.e. Coppermine) needs write permissions on the logs folder, so you have to ask your webhost what permission level (CHMOD) is needed to give the user the webserver runs under write permissions.

hodograph

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 10:41:05 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted the webhost today.  They replied that I have the permissions set correctly (755) on the logs directory.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: [Solved]: Can't/won't create log file
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »

OK, great.

Running cpg 1.4.10.
Time to upgrade then!

hodograph

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 11:37:23 pm »

heh heh...somehow I thought that might come up.   ;D

I didn't make the original install, and I'm sure there's a whole lotta RTFM to be had, but can you give me a general sense for how long a "typical" upgrade might take?  Am I in for minutes, hours, or days?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 11:47:12 pm »

Without having to read the docs? Less than 5 minutes. The backup may take another 5 minutes or so that you're suppossed to make. The corresponding section in the docs needs another 5 minutes to read. This sums up to 15 minutes. And yes, there is a section in the docs that you're suppossed to read (with or without the "f" in RTFM). That means: don't expect an extra tutorial just because you're too lazy to read the docs. I'm not ready to spoon-feed you. Your initial issue that you reported could have been solved if you would have done as suggested in the docs without the need to ask for advice here. Asking another question on this thread although we have a strict "one question per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up is not a bright move. What can I say? RTFM!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.