Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Summer of Code 2008  (Read 105680 times)

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Google Summer of Code 2008
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »

Hey student coders:

Coppermine Photo Gallery will be signing up has been accepted to be a mentor organization for this year's Google Summer of Code. We're looking forward to getting to work with talented and passionate students.

Please learn about the details at http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ In particular, review the program timeline: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_timeline

Here are key upcoming dates:
Quote from: GSoC key dates
March 17: List of accepted mentoring organizations published on code.google.com/soc/  (~12 noon PDT/19:00 UTC).

Interim Period: Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations.

March 24: Student application period opens (~12 noon PDT/19:00 UTC).

March 31: Student application deadline 5:00 PM PDT/00:00 UTC April 1, 2008.

Interim Period: Mentoring organizations review and rank student proposals; where necessary, mentoring organizations may request further proposal detail from the student applicant.

April 11:

* All mentors must signed up and all student proposals matched with a mentor by 00:00 PDT/07:00 UTC;
    * IRC Meeting to resolve any outstanding duplicate accepted students (timing TBD).

April 14: accepted student proposals announced at code.google.com/soc/ (~12 noon PDT/19:00 UTC).

Please post questions about Coppermine's participation in this thread.

Thank you!

Thu
On behalf of Coppermine Dev Team
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:56:47 am by TranzNDance »

jtraub

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Google Summer of Code 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:32:05 am »

Hello!

I have some ideas about features for Coppermine Gallery.
Where can i discuss them?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:06 am »

If you're a (potential) GSoC-student, sign up on the corresponding Google page. If you're not a student, but just a "regular" coppermine user who wants to see features in future versions, use the feature requests board.

jtraub

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:58:06 am »

If you're a (potential) GSoC-student, sign up on the corresponding Google page. If you're not a student, but just a "regular" coppermine user who wants to see features in future versions, use the feature requests board.
Thanks for your reply.

I am potential SoC student. And now i would like to discuss with developers and users some ideas. I really need to refine them before submitting proposal.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:59:44 pm »

Hi jtraub,

I'm the organization administrator and point of contact for Coppermine's participation in Summer of Code. You can send an email to gsoc2008[at]coppermine-gallery.net and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »

I got an email from Google that Coppermine had been accepted to be a mentor organization for Summer of Code 2008. Yay!

I've created a site where students can check out additional information on CPG & GSoC: http://sites.google.com/a/coppermine-gallery.net/google-summer-of-code/Home

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:42:44 pm »

Great! Now lets see some good ideas pop up!

Aditya Mooley

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • My Sweet Home
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:23 pm »

Congratulations to all. I have received an email from Google to signup as a mentor and I have registered.
--- "Its Nice 2 BE Important but its more Important 2 Be NICE" ---
Follow Coppermine on Twitter

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:32 am »

I have also singed up as mentor.
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

daorange

• VIP
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:52 am »

Hi, I am also a student interested in working on this project through Google's Summer of Code.  I have a question about the project idea "A cross platform (perhaps gtk based) client to consume the api": is this envisioned as a web application using php-gtk, or as some kind of desktop application?

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:55 am »

It is meant to be a desktop application, php-gtk is also for desktop apps (but not recommended, as users would have to install php on their machine).

daorange

• VIP
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 01:57:21 am »

Thank you for your quick response.  I'm still slightly confused, but I think my issues are mostly individual so I guess I'll switch over to email.

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:06:12 am »

Might be because my native language isn't english :)
Don't hasitate to ask questions! That's why this thread is here.

daorange

• VIP
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:28:47 am »

Ok, thanks.  I guess I'm curious if there are any features that the devs would specifically want implemented in such a desktop application, rather than as browser-based tools.  I see that the other main project idea is an upload program, but I'm wondering if there is anything else in particular.  If not, I will just use the rest of the idea list and/or my imagination.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:31:52 am »

Let me clarify: most end-users have issues uploading using http uploads because they are not familiar with resizing pics on their client before uploading them. They tend to upload the pics as they are being generated by their cameras. This results in long upload times and frequent time-outs on the server side, as most servers are restricted in terms of memory consumption. So the idea is to have a desktop app that reads the maximum resolution and filesize allowed by a particular coppermine-driven web page. Then the user selects the pics he's going to upload. The app is suppossed to resize them on the client to the dimensions specified by the admin of the gallery, allow the user to assign keywords, title, description and all that stuff on the client app and finally hits the upload button. The app is then suppossed to send the images to the gallery, monitor the progress of the upload in the background, make sure the upload doesn't overload the web server's capacity. During this stage, there should be some progress bar displayed within the app that shows the end users how long it will take to finally upload all the pics. Once the upload is done, the app should check wether the pics were uploaded OK and then offer a link to the gallery that contains the uploaded pics. Possible additional features of the desktop app that come to mind: display previews of the thumbnails, option to add watermarks, option to rotate or crop the pics before uploading them etc.
So the app we're looking for should have three components basically: the ability to determine the settings on the web gallery, the ability to resize pics and the ability to upload those pics and monitor the progress. Microsoft has integrated a similar feature into Windows XP named "XP publisher", but it has never been accepted by users due to the strange interface. Similar things have been accomplished using Java, with the drawback (among others) that Java has limited capabilities to interact with the user's desktop. What we're looking for is a newbie-proof application that comes as a monolithic executable that end users can download and execute on their clients. The main focus should be on ease of use for computer-illiterate end users who just have basic MS Word skills. Target audience would be newbie webmasters who are not familiar with FTP uploads and end users for community-based coppermine installs.

Joachim
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:03:50 am by Hein Traag »

daorange

• VIP
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 05:30:22 am »

Thank you for such a detailed response.

chetan_j9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »

Hello developers/mentors ..

I'm a student like to do the project ( an independent tool for uploading + some capabilities ) mentioned by Administrator Joachim Müller as a part of GSoC 2008.. Now whom should i talk with ?

I 'm comfortable with php and gone roughly through the code .. I have some improvements tooo ..
Whom should i discuss my ideas and improvements ??

Plz help me!

Thank you

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 07:39:23 pm »

I got an email from Google that Coppermine had been accepted to be a mentor organization for Summer of Code 2008. Yay!

I've created a site where students can check out additional information on CPG & GSoC: http://sites.google.com/a/coppermine-gallery.net/google-summer-of-code/Home
There's an email address on that page that you can use to get in contact and discuss details.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:07:41 am »

Just a heads-up to people who have emailed and who are going to email. There are a lot more people emailing than there have been in the past. I'm trying to keep up with the responses and handle the requests, such as discussing with mentors. Because of the volume of email, I am not going to be able to reply as quickly as you might like. However, I am trying to get to each email while coordinating communication between students and Coppermine team members/mentors. That's on top of my full-time job and personal life. :) I'm working on ways to decrease the turn-around time.

I hope you don't get discouraged if I don't get to you soon. Thanks for your interest in working with Coppermine. It's really awesome that you are trying to get the ball rolling even before the student application process has begun.

chetan_j9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 11:44:16 am »

Thanks for ur reply ..

I was almost disappointed  ??? ..
Now fine  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.