Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image (Solved)  (Read 9677 times)

Nick The Greek

• Coppermine newbie
Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image (Solved)
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »

Hi. Newbie here.

I have spent most of today trying to cure the "Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image" error when uploading images.

I read the docs included in the download and tried many suggestions (mainly to do with permissions).

I read many articles and then came here and looked up many topics with the same title and tried much other stuff including reading articles to do with php which to be honest, I didn't follow too well.

I then came across the http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,56925.0.html topic which mentioned changing the resize method. I hadn't even spotted there were options on resize method! That cured my problem as was set by default to Image Magik and I changed it to GD2 to try. Hey Presto.

My point, and reason for writing, is that surely with the amount of times this error seems to occur (according to the hits I got when searching here), isn't it time to include it as a FAQ answers in the docs? If it were there then I would have saved the best part of 4 hours just trawling through info to try and find the answer. It now appears to me an incredibly straight forward error BUT when you are trying to get everything else working on your site and you load new software (Coppermine) and it's all new, the straightforward stuff is not so straightforward, especially when the docs make no mention of such a fundamental error. I didn't even know there was an option for changing the resize method!

Hope nobody now tells me it is in the docs and I just am too dumb to find it  :-[ It certainly isn't in the "Upload trobleshooting" or "Error messages" sections which is where I concentrated.

Oh, BTW, my site is at rioclaro.co.uk and I have left user: test with password: testtoo if anyone cares to look  :)

Thanks for listening

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image (Solved)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:21 am »

First things first, Upgrade. You are using <!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.20 (stable)--> while the current stable release is 1.4.24

Once you have done the please do everything outlined in the docs here.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble

and here

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_support

When posting links please add the full link to the gallery as it takes extra work for us trying to work it out.

Any reason why you marked your thread as solved?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Nick The Greek

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »

First things first, Upgrade. You are using <!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.20 (stable)--> while the current stable release is 1.4.24

Once you have done the please do everything outlined in the docs here.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble

and here

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_support

When posting links please add the full link to the gallery as it takes extra work for us trying to work it out.

Any reason why you marked your thread as solved?

Thanks for reply.

1> I have the latest version supplied by UKHosts4U who are my server provider. They supply various packages as addons (Gallery, Coppermine etc) for installation via their control panel (and Fantastico) and I don't want to upset their apple cart by upgrading beyond what they supply incase they then stop supporting - See my point?

2> I did but it didn't help me to resolve anything. I turned single file upload back off and debug mode back off later and before posting here as with the problem sorted, I didn't need them on still!

&

3> I did (see 2> above). If you want them both back to as specified in the docs, I could do that but don't quite see why we need to as problem is solved (well, my problem is, the docs I still think could mention this potential error to save other newbies falling foul of it).

4> Sorry, you're are quite right. The full link is http://rioclaro.co.uk/Coppermine and my albums for upload were in the albums/ directory within that location.

5> Because for me, the actual problem was I couldn't upload as I had the "Resize Images using" (in config) set to Image Magik and apparently I don't have Image Magik. When I changed it to GD2 it all worked fine. So for me, "Solved"

The point of my email was to highlight that had the docs included just checking the Image Resize methods (or trying the others) then I could have saved about 4 hours. As I said before, I am a Newbie. Looking at the threads, some other newbies had the same issue so presumably it is not just me. The error symbol on the right gave no indication listed in the docs. It just said something like "To view error or reload" and when clicked upon, it opened a new browser window which just said "Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image" so not particulaly helpful and certainly not mentioned in the docs.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:15 pm »

We cannot support installations made with fantastico. It messes with all sorts of things and as you can see, it is way behind. In fact, the host are leaving themselves open to hackers because they are so far behind. You will also find that if you install using the built in installer instead of the buggy fantastico you would be unlikely to have had the imagemagik problem in the first place.

Upgrading is simple and will protect your site from the hackers out to destroy your work. As it is, I could gain full access to your site very quickly.

Sorry I didn't read your post fully. I was under the impression you needed help.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »

Your problems await you and your old (hackable) version of Coppermine. It would be foolish to ignore the expert's advice.
  • "Fantastico/cPanel only gives you the keys - they won't teach you to drive"
  • Fantastico doesn't provide any type of automatic upgrade (at least mine doesn't)
  • Your hosting company provides dated software, you are better off learning to support yourself

Upgrade! Newbies do it all the time!

Nick The Greek

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:01 pm »

We cannot support installations made with fantastico. It messes with all sorts of things and as you can see, it is way behind. In fact, the host are leaving themselves open to hackers because they are so far behind. You will also find that if you install using the built in installer instead of the buggy fantastico you would be unlikely to have had the imagemagik problem in the first place.

Upgrading is simple and will protect your site from the hackers out to destroy your work. As it is, I could gain full access to your site very quickly.

Sorry I didn't read your post fully. I was under the impression you needed help.

Woah boy..... What are you? 21 and straight from Uni?

At what point did I say I needed help?

I was meerly pointing out where I, as a newbie, lost lots of time trying to fix something that was, IMHO, documentable (is that actually a word?).

"We cannot support installations made with fantastico."...... Why not include that in the docs? Then I could make some informed decisions instead of working in the dark and I would not have bothered you VIPs with such a mundane thing.

"....it is way behind"...... Normally, 0.04 behind would not be referred to as "way". If this version is so "way behind" and "hackable", what about the current version when we get to 1.4.28? Is this going to be so bad then?

To be honest, you're not really presenting such a good argument for your software here. I changed from gallery some 3 years ago on recommedation from a friend and was happy with Coppermine until I messed up a bit 2 years ago doing some updates, but didn't worry about it until just recently. I then tried to fix the issue and commented here on what I found. Shame on me.....

And YES, Shame on you. As a moderator, you should read the posts fully before replying. You just wanted to have a pop at a newbie because I didn't fully grasp all the facts quickly enough. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WITH NEWBIES. It's why we are newbies. But I did EVERYTHING your docs said. It just didn't give me the answers and I didn't realise I had to leave those things set when I reported the issue.

But congratulations on making me feel small, even though I read all your docs for 4 hours but still didn't manage to understand it all. Most, but not all.

Just read my first post again. Was it in any way agressive or abusive? If so, my unreserved appologies. I thought I was just informing the facts as I found them.

I like Coppermine. It shows my pictures in a nice way. I had some problems getting it going and I reported them as best I could. Sorry if I in any way upset you with my ignorance. I actually studied your docs and tried to follow them for quite a time before posting. If you feel hacking my vunerable site would somehow better your life, help youself. I'm a newbie so can't really protect myself anyway. My wife has MS and I found out 2 weeks my Dad has cancer. I'm 50 years old and taught myself a bit of html so I could design my own site. I try now to run a stress free life and moved my family to Spain to help achieve that. It seemed to be working but I do still rise to the bait now and then. Can't help it. Just happens. On the plus side, my wife has been so much better since we moved here.

Oh, and if you didn't already gather it already, you,, Mr Luckhurst are a young, imature..........

PS. This is ONLY directed at Mt Luckhurst. Appologies to any other moderators as I'm sure I don't mean to offend.

PPS. I have removed the "test" user as obviously, Mr Luckhust's threats have hit a cord. Again, appologies to any genuine moderators.

Finally, to i-imagine. I understand that this is an older version and will now consider upgrading over and above what my server provider offers. Didn't realise when I first did it that there would be newer software that they did not promote. Fair enough.

Secondly, I am obviously trying to learn to support myself from the work done to date but one has to start somewhere. Assistance and encouragement rather than Mr Dickhurst's slaging go a lot further. IMHO.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:09 am »

Stop it or someone will ban you from the support board.

The documents and this support board are some of the best I have dealt with. This I know because I am an engineer who has managed support and documentation for semiconductor production equipment.

Your first post speaks for itself.
Hope nobody now tells me it is in the docs and I just am too dumb to find it

So if truth is to be told - it should be written........
From the documents that came with your coppermine.
Method for resizing images
Set this to the type of image library you have on your server (must be either GD1, GD2 or ImageMagick). GD2 is the recommended setting.

You are out of line, unless you can type very fast the amount of time you have spent with the previous post you could have just got on with it and upgraded.

You are not the first newbie that wants special care. How does that work in other places with a lot of people seeking the same thing? Do you get special care and feeding at the airport and at the football stadium because it's new to you?  

Usually, posts that begin with I'm a newbie are ignored, maybe for the example you have now just given.

Stop it and get on with it.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:30:36 am by i-imagine »

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:03:03 am »

At what point did I say I needed help?

You are asking in support area of the board where people are looking for help. That is what the term "Support" means. It seems you are asking for and addition to the docs so posting in a support board is innapropriate.

I was meerly pointing out where I, as a newbie, lost lots of time trying to fix something that was, IMHO, documentable (is that actually a word?).

"We cannot support installations made with fantastico."...... Why not include that in the docs? Then I could make some informed decisions instead of working in the dark and I would not have bothered you VIPs with such a mundane thing.

http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/auto-installers.htm#auto-installers

Is that good enough documentation for you? Although from the new docs it explains why we cannot support fantastico installs.

If you search this board for fantastico you will also see a huge number of posts stating our reasons for not supporting fantastico.

"....it is way behind"...... Normally, 0.04 behind would not be referred to as "way". If this version is so "way behind" and "hackable", what about the current version when we get to 1.4.28? Is this going to be so bad then?

Read this.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upgrade_why

If you choose to ignore it then fine by me.

I'm a newbie so can't really protect myself anyway.

Yes you can, you can do as outlined in the docs. Being a newbie is no excuse for being lazy.

My wife has MS and I found out 2 weeks my Dad has cancer. I'm 50 years old and taught myself a bit of html so I could design my own site. I try now to run a stress free life and moved my family to Spain to help achieve that. It seemed to be working but I do still rise to the bait now and then. Can't help it. Just happens. On the plus side, my wife has been so much better since we moved here.

I am sorry to hear of your problems but please keep subjects on topic.

Oh, and if you didn't already gather it already, you,, Mr Luckhurst are a young, imature..........

PS. This is ONLY directed at Mt Luckhurst. Appologies to any other moderators as I'm sure I don't mean to offend.

PPS. I have removed the "test" user as obviously, Mr Luckhust's threats have hit a cord. Again, appologies to any genuine moderators.

Secondly, I am obviously trying to learn to support myself from the work done to date but one has to start somewhere. Assistance and encouragement rather than Mr Dickhurst's slaging go a lot further. IMHO.

Obviously your intention here is to offend. I am thick skinned and have been around almost as many years as you so it goes straight over my head. I have not threatened you but was pointing out what is possible. I was not slagging you, just trying to help. If you cannot understand those facts then that is your problem.

Please review your attitude or as i-imagine suggests, you will be banned by one of the team. Personnal insults will not be tolerated.

Finally, to i-imagine. I understand that this is an older version and will now consider upgrading over and above what my server provider offers. Didn't realise when I first did it that there would be newer software that they did not promote. Fair enough.

I'm glad I could teach you something

As this thread has nowhere to go apart from downhill I will lock it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:11:14 am by Phill Luckhurst »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 04:11:20 am »

Nick, you really should review your attitude. And for the record: I'm 41 and have left University quite some time ago. I have no idea about the education background of i-imagine, but that doesn't matter at all: he was trying to help, and there was absolutely no reason for you to bash him. He has got a long record of helping people on this board, while you have a very short record of misbehaving so far.  We have zero tolerance against trolls, so if your posting is meant as a a trolling attempt, let's call it lame. Start from scratch in a new thread if you really want support, doing as suggest by board rules and common sense. If you just came to here to abuse, then go away. Possible future misbehaviour will be deleted without further notices.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:40 pm »

Nick by PM:
Hi.

Firstly let me apologize for this PM. Your signature asks people not to PM you unless requested and here I am. Please ignore it if it is going to cause anymore problems.

However, I hope you will understand that I don't want your topics to turn into a slagging match any more than they are already (partly my fault I know).

Please allow me just to explain something. My first post in no way asked for help. Please read it for me and tell me if I am wrong. This is VERY IMPORTANT to what followed and I feel has been overlooked again and again. I had sorted my problem out as I explained in that post. I merely thought I was doing the right thing to point out a small omision (IMHO) in the coppermine documentation that, had it been in the troubleshooting or errors section would have saved me (and some others before) a great deal of frustration and time. So he thinks I'm asking for support and starts telling me to do this and read that. The things he told me to read I had already explained that I HAD READ in my first post. He ends with "Any reason why you marked your thread as solved?" when I clearly explained why in my post.

I apologize but that got my back up and when I tried to explain to him, in polite terms (read my second post again please), I felt I got more of the same. Hence my more agressive 3rd response (for which I apologize off topic - I was out of order there and would have said so had I not been locked out. In fact, I would have deleted my comments the next morning but couldn't). However, I maintain fully that Mr Luckhurst did not read my first post properly and therefore did not give polite assistance in his reply (it is always impolite not to listen) and did not show any appreciation for my second reply which clearly explained the situation from my side of the fence and started off his second reply with an attitude which, up to that point, I did not deserve.

Finally, IMHO, I did not ever have a go at i-image. Why did you say that? I thanked him for his input as he gave good information without being condasending or pushy. I only had a go at Mr Luckhurst as he was the pushy one.

Please, read my first two posts again (if you can spare the time) and I hope you will then see that I really did not get "the attitude" until Mr Luckhurst's second reply which did, admittedly, wind me up (to be honest, I'd also had a few drinks that night and when I went back in the next morning to delete the previous nights text, he had already locked me out so I just forgot it. I certainly would not have started a new thread to continue a pointless argument when he obviously was not responsive to my initial explanations).

Oh, and I have no idea what "Trolling" is but I will go away and look it up on Wikipedia.

If you can see my point then I am pleased I managed to explain it to someone. If not, well I apologize again for taking up you time and for PM'ing you. Please forgive this intrusion and hopefully no further harm has been done :-)

You are not allowed to PM me. You're aware of that rule. Yet you still PM me, forcing me to read through a lengthy list of excuses. Instead of PMing me, you could have posted publicly, saying sorry or whatever you wanted to say. I already have told you about my tolerance level against misbehaviour.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:36 pm »

Nick,

I do have a high tolerence level. I did make a mistake by not fully reading your first post. We are all human and sometimes missread things but my point in upgrading was fully justified. I then went on and apologized for miss-reading your first post. I did not gloss over this fact. I did also want to warn you about fantastico which is why I responded with that information. Trying to help and not put anyone down

We are a small team and doing all this as volunteers in our spare time, aided by a community of excellent supporters such as i-imagine. As such, we don't have time to write a long response to every question and often just link to the relavent information or write just a few lines.

You then went on to get rather nasty which is why at 5 in the morning after a long night at work as our servers had gone down I locked the thread. I will not be drawn into an argument about how you choose to read a post on a forum.

It is easy to read the same few words in different ways depending upon what voice you use in your head when you read it.

Childish name calling cannot be read in any other way however. It is just immature and pointless.

To then continue and PM someone even though you know it is not welcome is just rude. My tolerence is wearing thin where you are concerned. So please stick to the forum rules if you want help from other supporters in the future.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:12:29 pm by Phill Luckhurst »

Nick The Greek

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:19:42 pm »

Nick,

I do have a high tolerence level. I did make a mistake by not fully reading your first post. We are all human and sometimes missread things but my point in upgrading was fully justified. I then went on and apologized for miss-reading your first post. I did not gloss over this fact. I did also want to warn you about fantastico which is why I responded with that information. Trying to help and not put anyone down

We are a small team and doing all this as volunteers in our spare time. As such, we don't have time to write a long response to every question and often just link to the relavent information or write just a few lines.

You then went on to get rather nasty which is why at 5 in the morning after a long night at work as our servers had gone down I locked the thread. I will not be drawn into an argument about how you choose to read a post on a forum.

It is easy to read the same few words in different ways depending upon what voice you use in your head when you read it.

Childish name calling cannot be read in any other way however. It is just immature and pointless.

To then continue and PM someone even though you know it is not welcome is just rude. My tolerence is wearing thin where you are concerned. So please stick to the forum rules if you want help from other supporters in the future.

I also have a high tolerance level, hence I am still here :-)

Thanks for unlocking the thread.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:31 pm »

I also have a high tolerance level, hence I am still here :-)
You're so generous ::). But you're wrong: you're no longer here, but gone (i.e. banned). Stay away. You had a last chance - your silly reply ruined it. Locking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.