Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Batch Add Files" = Unusually long wait?  (Read 8314 times)

ib2loud

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • I <3 CPG!
    • OKShowPics.com
"Batch Add Files" = Unusually long wait?
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:39 am »

I tried to find some relevant topics but couldn't find any. I have ~7000 images in my gallery and it seems to take an unusually long time to batch add files when I have uploaded a new directory. It seems to take around 5-10 min for it to finally go through to the directory selection screen.

Are there any settings or different methods I can try?

thanks so much!

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
Re: "Batch Add Files" = Unusually long wait?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »

I have the same problem. I have photographers that upload to our gallery site ( s o v i p [dot] c o m ) and when they click the batch-add link it usually takes over a minute to load. Many times it never loads and the page time-outs. We currently have 16127 files in 159 albums and thousands of photos are added each month. We don't have all the folders in the root of the batch-add. We created 1 folder called uploads that you need to click into and then all the subfolders are shown. It appears the script loads all the subfolders too which is taking up alot of time causing the time-outs.

I just upgraded to the latest version and I  noticed a new update "Added 'svn' to the list of foldernames to skip during batch-add" but I'm not sure how this works for existing folders? Is there something I need to do to add the existing folders to the do-not-propagate list?

Note: There is no problem uploading and batchadding files. The problem is the amount of time it takes for the searchnew.php page to initially load. It has significantly slowed down as the amount of directories and pictures has increased. I made a parallel coppermine installation using the same config but without the albums folder and the searchnew.php loads instantly. It is definately related to the amount of directories that are present. Once it is loaded we are able to successfully add hundreds of photos at a time. Is there a modification I can make to the searchnew.php script in order to load faster?

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »

About 2 minutes will go by then the page will go all white. No error messages are displayed and nothing is ever loaded. I downloaded and ran Httpwatch to see what responses from the server I received during the time-out. After 60 seconds of waiting for the page to load I get a "NS_ERROR_NET_RESET" then the browser automatically refreshes the connection and after another 60 seconds I get a final "NS_ERROR_NET_RESET". The error message means: "The connection was established, but no data was ever received."

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:42:22 pm »

This is a printout of a connection when the searchnew.php page does load after 50 seconds.

http://www. s o v i p . com / support / HttpWatch1.pdf

This is a printout of a connection when the searchnew.php page fails to load and the connection is closed after 2 minutes.

http://www. s o v i p . com / support / Httpwatch2.pdf

Note: the filenames are case sensitive. (Httpwatch1.pdf and Httpwatch2.pdf )

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:58 pm »

Error in previous post: W must be uppercase. HttpWatch1.pdf and HttpWatch2.pdf

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:16:53 am »

Link to gallery is http://www.sovip.com/gallery/
Attempting to hijack someone else's thread is not a bright idea, start a thread of your own, doing exactly as suggested in the docs, section "asking for support on upload issues".

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:52:48 pm »

I did read both the Board Rules and the Upload Troubleshooting section of the Docs before posting my support request.

I posted a link to the gallery and I gave a detailed account of the problem including screen shots. I searched the FAQ and DOCs first to see if the issue was listed by someone else and resolved. I found another user with a similar problem who had an existing post that was never answered. I didn't hijack this thread since we both have the same issue. I didn't want to clutter your board by posting the same issue this member was experiencing. I will repost the info as a separate issue.

The second problem you said I was having is my non compliance with the upload support policy.

The section reads:

"When asking for support on the coppermine forum, post a link to your site and a test user account (the test user mustn't be in the admin group!) with upload privileges, with the above mentioned settings in place - this way, supporters can see the error messages as well. Do not post debug_output unless requested. If you want fast results, you should disable admin approval for the group the test user is in, so supporters can tell instantly what is wrong without needing to double-check."

It specifically states to list a test user account so supporters can see the error emssages as well. In my original post I told you there was no error message and it is a problem with the searchnew.php timing out. No output is displayed no error messages are received.

The policy also states not to put the test user account in the admin group. Since admin is the only group that has access to the batchadd feature and the batchadd feature is what I'm having trouble with having access to a test user account wouldn't assist supporters in diagnosing this problem. I will list a test user account in the next post.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24:00 pm »

The policy also states not to put the test user account in the admin group. Since admin is the only group that has access to the batchadd feature and the batchadd feature is what I'm having trouble with having access to a test user account wouldn't assist supporters in diagnosing this problem. I will list a test user account in the next post.
That's not what we're asking for. We're asking for a non-admin test user account to look into http uploads first. What exactly we do with the account is none of your business - we don't have to explain what we do to provide support. If you would know or understand what we did, you wouldn't be asking for support. The upload troubleshooting says that you need to follow the steps to a T even if the issues you have are related to another upload method:
Asking for support on upload issues

When asking for support on the coppermine forum, post a link to your site and a test user account (the test user mustn't be in the admin group!) with upload privileges, with the above mentioned settings in place - this way, supporters can see the error messages as well. Do not post debug_output unless requested. If you want fast results, you should disable admin approval for the group the test user is in, so supporters can tell instantly what is wrong without needing to double-check.

When people have issues with uploading and decide to post their question on the Coppermine support board, they usually are told to read this upload troubleshooting section. Many of them fail to do so properly, which results in frustration both for users as well as supporters. To make this absolutely clear: the above mentioned steps are absolutely mandatory, no matter what skill level you have, no matter what upload method you have troubles with. Failing to do exactly as suggested will result in your request for help being ignored. Yes, this applies to you. We mean it!

However, you ignored the most important part of my reply:
Attempting to hijack someone else's thread is not a bright idea, start a thread of your own, doing exactly as suggested in the docs, section "asking for support on upload issues".
Why do you continue to clutter this thread, which is not yours, instead of doing as suggested. Your behaviour is rude and selfish - you're drawing attention from the issue of the thread starter to your issues, which is just rude. Stop it: do not reply to this thread any more. This thread belongs to ib2loud! After typing this reply I figured out that you already have a thread of your own. You just have wasted a lot of time and energy, which is just lame.

steve6one7

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »

@ib2loud- It appears you are having the same problem I had. Nibbler actually offered advice in my thread that solved my issue and I believe it will solve yours as well.

Here is a link to the thread I started: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,60070.0.html

Quote form Nibbler:

"...Try removing

Code:

display_dir_tree('', '');

from searchnew.php..."

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

Last warning: stay out of this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.