Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Activated Users Do Not Receive Initial Email  (Read 11420 times)

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
Activated Users Do Not Receive Initial Email
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:04:24 am »

Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed, but I have not been able to find the answer upon hours of searching.  Here is the situation I am having:

I am the admin of my coppermine gallery, and after a new user registers for my gallery, I get an email to activate them. 
I login, then activate them right away. 
Days and weeks go by, but they never receive an email telling them they are approved. 
In fact, they forget about the site and never come back. 
This is not okay with me.

I have talked to my host, and sendmail IS enabled. 
We did a test, and I have the following working:

SMTP Host: localhost
SMTP Username: (my email address)
SMTP Password: (my email password)

This works to send me notices of new users needing activation, when users want to send e-cards, and users people request their forgotten password.  This does not work, however, to notify new users that they are now active and can begin posting comments and sending e-cards. 

This is not an issue with my web host's server or email.  Again, this has been tested and it works.
The host and I have determined it is an with Coppermine, as the rest of the email features work properly and quickly. 
I have seen others ask about this same issue, but without resolution.

I just did the upgrade last week, and my Config shows "stable" usage of:
Coppermine Photo Gallery v1.4.12
Note: Though I have upgraded, my version number still shows 1.4.12 on my Config page.  I know it should show 1.4.14, but it is working fine and the upgrade was successful; so, I don't believe that's the problem.  The issue I am having has been ongoing (before the upgrade, and now after the upgrade).

I had a system admin friend come over today to help me with this, and we looked for errors in the php log and apache log... nothing to be found.  We looked at all possible options and read forum post after post.  He advised that I post this question to you.

I would appreciate a response, with details.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your help!
Arielle

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
Re: Activated Users Do Not Receive Initial Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:30:32 am »

you haven't found a solution because there is none available yet. As you may have read on the threads where this is being discussed: the feature you're requesting is being considered, it doesn't yet exist. Anyway, there won't be both of them at the same time: either you can have admin approval of registration or user verification emails - to have both would be overkill.

Joachim

In this topic a modification is provided for cpg 1.3.x, so if you want this, I guess you'll have to code it yourself.
(I haven't seen a mod for 1.4.x yet, could be wrong but I don't think so)

One hint I can give you, when a user is activated, the delete.php is used with action: 'activate'

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:24 am »

Hi,

I am not quite following your answer.  You quote a user who says that this feature is up for consideration; yet, when a user registers, it clearly states that they will receive an email once the admin activates them.

Also, why can't we have both: user verification emails (for the users) and admin approval emails (for the admins).  Those serve two different functions if I am not mistaken.  One is for letting users know they are activated and can now post comments or upload photos.  The other tells the admin that a new user wants consideration for activation... two totally separate things. 

I am also not sure what the delete.php has to do with activating a new user and informing them of their "now active" account status.  Please help clarify.  thanks so much! :)

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:09 am »

Never mind what I posted earlier, there should be an email sent when admin activates.
Sorry for the confusion.

I looked into it (register.php) but can't help you right away.
I hope some other dev can help, or maybe tomorrow.

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:55:55 pm »

Hi there,

Have you had a chance to look at this yet?  I'm really hoping to resolve this issue soon!  I updated my coppermine to the newest version again yesterday... still, no luck.

Please help!  :)
Arielle

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:10:44 pm »

I have looked, but can't find a possible problem (most likely it is my lack of knowledge of the mailing system)

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »

Do you think you can have another Dev Team member take a look who might know the answer?  I am baffled, and I have tried everything I can!

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:38 pm »

You'll have to wait till someone else comes and rescues you :)

Nibbler

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:25:45 am »

If you're activating them from the user manager then they won't get mailed. There's simply no code there to do that.

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:27 am »

Ok, that's something!  I have been activating from the admin login... should I activate from email?  Will that resolve the issue?

mirdonamy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:16 am »

Hmm, ok... i registered a test user and activated THROUGH my email... still, the user email never received an activation notice.  Another suggestion?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.