Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibility to lessen mysql load?  (Read 2618 times)

Scias

• Coppermine regular visitor
Possibility to lessen mysql load?
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:38:30 am »

ok, as im not sure how to direct this "question", i will explain the best i can, with ONE problem.

Problem: we recently got a MASSIVE influx of users (4x our normal amount), and many are going to the gallery. we just reached a point where our memory was 90+% and swap 80% (aka a complete lock up of the gallery), with a dedicated server. now, my webhost says this is not going to fix it self (obviously), and we need to do 1 of few things, first off he wanted to know if there is anyway to turn the pages to .html, and/or lessen to the load/calls mysql use's, if not, any ways to "lessen" the strain for now would be helpful. i was thinking maybe splitting the categorys in 3-4 "major categorys" like A to G, etc, to help lessen the immediate load, but i am unsure of this even affects it.

i know im likely going to be told "it isnt possible", but any constructive help/advice would be great :)

Scias

sorry if i didnt put the issue clearly, but im hard pressed to even point out what is the major cause of this directly.

if a link is needed (though is useless, as it's completly locked down as were try to get it functional again), just request it.

Nibbler

Re: Possibility to lessen mysql load?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:54:28 am »

Link is required. Even if the site itself is down we can see the gallery in the google cache. Basically, disable anything you don't need and then investigate what is causing the load. No point in guessing. That means look at what program is causing the load, check the mysql slow query log and statistics, apache access logs to determine popular pages etc...

Coppermine doesn't have an html caching or static page feature since so much of it is dynamic.

Creating more categories is likely to increase the resources used.

Scias

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:48 am »

oh you can still use the link? very sorry. :P

This is the Gallery [Edit GauGau] Warning: link not worksafe [/Edit]

and im sorry for sparse details, my webhost did not give me anything to be exact, but saying basically turning it to static, is biggest thing... if not, im unsure what to do. :P ill request some info off him and reply here when i get replyed 2.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:24:28 am by Joachim Müller »

Scias

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »

i wanted to edit the link to show it's not work-safe, but unfortunatly i could find no edit button, and making a post simply to point out that error would be doubleposting, and againest rules if i recall, so i couldnt do nothing...

also my host basically said he saw this coming. aka not beable to change it, and seems to more-so want to give up on CPG x-x unfortunatly i dont know of any lighter-weight script like CPG at all, i went threw nearly 20-25 scripts before i chose cpg, which was the best by far -.-

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:41:25 am »

also my host basically said he saw this coming. aka not beable to change it,
Find a better webhost then ;)

and making a post simply to point out that error would be doubleposting, and againest rules if i recall, so i couldnt do nothing...
Posting a clarification is not what you call a double-posting and therefor not against the rules. A double-posting is actually posting the same issue on various threads.

i wanted to edit the link to show it's not work-safe, but unfortunatly i could find no edit button
That's on purpose. Editing has been disabled due to abuse in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.