Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatal error in categories page...weird..  (Read 4308 times)

yume_sato

• Coppermine newbie
Fatal error in categories page...weird..
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:01:31 pm »

Hello, I'm new here, and first of all I'd like to thank you from Coppermine support staff for giving us its users the chance to try to solve our problems in this forum... :)

I'm getting this error when I try to access http://alinneonline.ddfhost.com/galeria/catmgr.php, the categories page:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /home/alinneon/public_html/galeria/lang/english.php on line 737

Wich is weird, because from what I've researched in this forum, that error usually hapens when people are trying to upload images, and that's not my case. I have been expierencing some troubles when trying to upload portrait oriented images, though. The thumbnails don't appear, a red cross does instead. Is it related to the issue? I read some similar topics in this forum and by resizing the image I solved the issue, though I find it very annoying to have to do that everytime I have a portrait oriented image that needs to be uploaded.

I tried to contact my webhost and ask them to increase the memory limit in their php.ini but they said they couldn't do it. What am I supposed to do now? Won't I be able to create new categories anymore?

Here's my gallery:

http://alinneonline.ddfhost.com/galeria/

And a login (I'm not sure if it has to be mine admin login?):

username: test
password: 0123

I'm sorry for the long post, and thanks for taking your time to read it!

Yume

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:58:57 am by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Fatal error in categories page...weird..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:45 pm »

I'm getting this error when I try to access http://alinneonline.ddfhost.com/galeria/catmgr.php, the categories page:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /home/alinneon/public_html/galeria/lang/english.php on line 737
It's true that this error message usually shows when uploading, but it's not completely new on other pages. It's not a coppermine error, but an error generated by PHP that shows through the Coppermine output. It means what it says: you have reached the memory limited, i.e. the amount of memory that a PHP script is allowed to consume. This is due to restrictions on your webserver (imposed by your webhost) - there's little we could do or advise except asking your webhost to allow you to use more resources (i.e. memory), which they hardly will do for you, as the amount of memory assigned to each web presence on a webserver with shared webhosting adds up to some total value: the more memory they allow you to consume, the less web presences they can put on a single machine - this boils it down to a question of economics.
The reason why you get that error message is because coppermine needs to do a lot of calculations and come with a lot of output when generating the category manager page - at least for galleries with a lot of categories.
What you actually could do (and not only for the sake of getting rid of that error, but as well for security reasons) is to upgrade: you're running cpg1.4.10, while the most recent stable release currently is cpg1.4.14, so you're running 4 versions behind.
If this doesn't help, then you might search this board for an alternative category manager published by Nibbler that can handle huge galleries much better.

I tried to contact my webhost and ask them to increase the memory limit in their php.ini but they said they couldn't do it.
As suggested above: this is understandable for economical reasons.

And a login (I'm not sure if it has to be mine admin login?):
Never post an admin account on a public board - it could be abused by a malevolent person to ruin your entire gallery

yume_sato

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »

I tried upgrading my gallery, but it didn't solve the problem...maybe I just need to wait for the 1.5 version of Coppermine, when is that coming out?

"If this doesn't help, then you might search this board for an alternative category manager published by Nibbler that can handle huge galleries much better." - I don't know what you mean, there're other category managers like coppermine? sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for trying to help me!!

Yume

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:45:19 am »

cpg1.5.x will not consume less resources. There is no scheduled release date.

yume_sato

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:56:44 am »

I've uploaded the categories page of coppermine 1.5 from this topic, posted by Nibbler(now I get what you meant lol):
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=45259.0

Now everything seems to be ok. Thanks again!!! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.