Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blank page  (Read 6164 times)

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
Blank page
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:25:30 am »

I'm having a problem where I get a blank page during the uploading process.

-I'm using Coppermine gallery 1.2.14
 -I'm uploading using HTTP.
 -Some images are uploaded and added to the gallery properly.
 -Some images are uploaded, and thumbnails are created (seen using FTP). However intermediate images are nowhere to be found and the image does not appear in the gallery.
 -Some images are not uploaded at all.
 -I tried the instructions in the "Upload troubleshooting" of the documentation, however as all I get is a blank page there is no debug information to be copied. I checked looked at the debug information shown in the steps before I get the blank page, but they contain no errors.
 -I searched through the forum and found that uploading problems can sometimes be caused something called "PHP memory limit". I checked the support forum for my webspace provider, and it turns out I have 20MB.
 -The image I am trying to upload is pretty large, 2560x2048 @ 8.32MB (PNG). Though I don't think that is the problem as I have other images in my gallery that are of the same size.
 -I tried to upload an image that was already available in my gallery (under a different name), but it didn't work. So the problem must be a recent one.
 -I tried to upload a much smaller image, 800x600 and it worked fine.
 -I re-uploaded all of the .php files from my harddrive over to the site and selected the default theme, it didn't help.
 -This is the first time I have experienced this problem.

Could it be that my PHP memory limit has been suddenly reduced, or is Coppermine gallery using up more memory than it is supposed to?
M

Nibbler

Re: Blank page
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:32:44 am »

If small files work but large ones don't then the only possible reason is resource limiting by your webhost. Either resize before you upload or upgrade your hosting.

We never released a  1.2.14, so I assume that's a typo. Latest version is 1.4.14 so update.

If you require upload support then do exactly as requested in the upload troubleshooting guide, especially the part that's written in red...

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:58:37 am »

If small files work but large ones don't then the only possible reason is resource limiting by your webhost. Either resize before you upload or upgrade your hosting.
I tried to resize an image to 1280x1024 which is really the lower limit of what I can use. It didn't work either. And I have uploaded larger images before.
We never released a  1.2.14, so I assume that's a typo. Latest version is 1.4.14 so update.
Sorry about that... I meant 1.4.14.
If you require upload support then do exactly as requested in the upload troubleshooting guide, especially the part that's written in red...
Login: Test
password: test
M

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:02:58 am »

If you have ImageMagick on the server you can try using that to sidestep the PHP memory limit. If you're not sure ask your host.

You need to do exactly as suggested, that means 1 file upload box and 0 URI upload boxes. Other settings won't have the same effect.

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:53 am »

Ok, I've returned the upload settings to '1 file upload'. Have you tried uploading a large image?
Is it plausible that this is a temporary problem with my host, meaning have you heard of something like this happening before where the php memory limit gets temporarily reduced?
Is there any way to 'benchmark' the memory limit to get a precise and current number?

My main concern here is that this worked just recently, and I have not made any alterations to either my webhost account or my coppermine configuration.
M

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 01:43:30 am »

I uploaded my wallpaper and that worked ok. Go to http://www.fractalart.se/phpinfo.php and look at the setting for memory_limit.

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:32:15 am »

My site seems to be down right now. Anyway, I'm going to bed right now.
I've uploaded an image to http://www.fractalart.se/_willnotwork.jpg. It's an 2560x2048 image that I've uploaded successfully before. If someone could try to upload it to my gallery and see if it works for you, I would be grateful.

The reason I was wondering if this was a temporary problem is that my web hotel is very cheap, so I expect some problems to occur. I just want to know if it has something to do with my computer, something to do with my coppermine installation or something to do with my web host.
M

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:29 am »

I've uploaded an image to http://www.fractalart.se/_willnotwork.jpg. It's an 2560x2048 image that I've uploaded successfully before. If someone could try to upload it to my gallery and see if it works for you, I would be grateful.
I tried to download that file, but your site appears to be completely down.

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:12:23 am »

It's up again... for now.
M

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:12 am »

Uploading that file works fine on my testbed.

just_some_guy

• Supporter
  • Coppermine addict
  • I am currently on holiday, back in a few weeks. :D
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:55 am »

If someone could try to upload it to my gallery and see if it works for you, I would be grateful.

I tried uploading that file to your website and i received an "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" message after clicking the upload button.
Tambien, Hablo Español      PHP - Achieve Anything
"The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow. " - Bill Gates
Windows 7 Forums

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:46:32 pm »

I get the same message in Internet Explorer. The file that won't display is called db_input.php, I re-uploaded it but it made no difference.
The strange thing is that the gallery does create thumbnails properly. When I looked at my userpics folder there were several thumbnail versions of the image.

Well, at least I know the problem isn't my computer. And I don't think the problem is coppermine either.
I also looked into installing ImageMagick, though I never could get it to work. Then I noticed this portion in the FAQ:
You can only install ImageMagic or GD if you're running your own server or if you have at least shell access to your webserver. If your site is being hosted by a webhost you can only contact your webhost and ask them to install it for you. If they refuse choose another webhost.
Isn't ImageMagic supposed to run from my computer?
M

Theli

• Coppermine newbie
    • Fractal art.se
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:57:52 pm »

Ok, I got the upload to work by disabling "Create intermediate pictures". I think I can live with the current settings. It reduces the number of necessary clicks, though it does create a bit of scrolling in 2560x2048 images.  :D

I would like to thank you for taking the time to listen to my problems and for trying to help me. And thank you for providing this software.
M

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »

Isn't ImageMagic supposed to run from my computer?
No, it's a webserver app. Use GD2 if you have no idea what ImageMagick is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.