Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A suggestion for the upload feature : more folders to seperately store pictures  (Read 4747 times)

specfriend

• Coppermine newbie

I have been using coppermine for my gallery for about a year, my site is www.chiglish.net  and I think coppermine is great.

I think if user can create multiple folders in Albums directory, and have pictures stored in different folders would be even greater, and easier to manage.  Use my site for example, I would hope maybe to create a folder called Restroom, and store all photos in that category here, seperated from other album photos.

Another suggestion is : maybe create different folders according to upload time, such as /2008/01/10, to store all pictures I uploaded on that day.  The goal is to reduce the number of pictures in one particular folder, so that if any error occurs, it would not bring down the whole thing.

That reason I am making this suggestion is that, right now all pictures by default are stored in Albums/userpics, when there are hundreds or even thousands of pictures, maintaining them, or just browsing through them would become very difficult.  My server file manager would actually give an error before showing a listable of files, and options such as name change, download, even delete, etc all become unavailable.  Recently 1 of my pictures become corrupted, my whole site went down.

I am speaking from my own painful experience, and believing such feature would be helpful for anyone with a large number of photos in the album.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Suggestions for features in future versions should not have gone into the upload support board. Moving accordingly.
Your request is not unique at all. In fact, it has been requested quite often already, so it's basically a repetition.
We have a strict "one issue per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up.
For cpg1.5.x (no release date scheduled yet), we already have some of those features in the dev pipeline. Users will be able to create albums in public categories (if the admin allows them to do so).
Fiddling with the storage space folders will make thing smore complicated - I can't see the point in that. The human doesn't have to keep track of file locations - that's what the database is meant for.
Disaster protection and easy disaster recovery is best accomplished by performing regular backups.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.