Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Add problem  (Read 3568 times)

rosede12

• Coppermine newbie
Batch Add problem
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:22:25 pm »

I was recently trying to add about 150-160 new pictures to an existing album.  I ftp'ed the photos to my upload directory and proceeded to use the "Batch Add" command. 

I selected the "uploads" directory, then selected the subdirectory where I had ftp'ed the files to.  Clicked OK to confirm the directory and images.  Then the batch add command started to fill the screen with thumbnails of the images, and checked marked the images that needed to be added to the album.  There were already about 25 existing pictures in that album and the existing upload directory. 

After a few, perhaps as many as 25, thumbnails started to appear, the whole process seemed to lockup.  Red X's filled the rest of the thumbnails.  I click "Insert Selected Files", and promptly received an error message from my hosting company that I had exceeded CPU processing limits, and my whole site was locked for a few minutes. 

I thought that I would only do a small number of pictures at a time, but I kept having this problem with every attempt at adding the images.  I eventually was able to get them added, but it took a lot of effort, even with small numbers of images,  I kept having this problem. 

BTW, I am on Coppermine 1.4.12. 

A follow up question, once I've added the images into Coppermine, can I delete the images that I ftp'ed to my server?  Or, do they need to stay in the UPLOAD directory? 

Thanks.

Daryl Rose

gr8tfate

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Batch Add problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:28 am »

I hope this is can be addressed, b/c I fall in the same boat. I recently installed coppermine [which i love, especially once I learn how to resolve this] on my server that I use with host monster. Everything installed flawlessly. Everything runs great but the Batch add.

Here's a pic of the small thumbnail images failing to load:
[Edit GauGau] Replaced hotlinked image with attachment [/Edit]

Once the server is done freaking out trying to process the entire batch, it has the files not placed in an album selected. You choose to place the selected into the album of choice. During the process, you start seeing the "OK" symbol pop up on the right next to each picture and does that for the first 25-40 pictures. After that, you get this:

During both instances, thumbnail loading and album loading, it uses all the CPU the server has. Sometimes I get this message:

The original batch I uploaded is 2,000 pictures. I was going to try and do batches of 100 photos at a time, until I read this thread from Rosede12. Is there any plugins on mods that could help us work around this problem? I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:52:13 am by Joachim Müller »

gr8tfate

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:14 am »

Although I did make sure of the "755" rule mentioned all over this forum, I did reread about it and missed the "directories and subdirectories", so I applied that. It did do the changes and applied the permissions, but the same problem happened with the same photos. I'm deleting all the photos from the server and uploading a new batch of photos, this time under 500 photos. We'll see if it made the difference with the new permission changes with a new batch of photos.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:57:08 am »

@both: do exactly as suggested in the upload troubleshooting section of the docs and the next section that is for apparent reasons named "asking for support on upload issues".

@rosede12: if the batch-add screen exceeds the limitations imposed by your webhost, batch-add less pics in one go or use the MassImport plugin. Upgrade - most recent stable release is cpg1.4.14

@gr8tfate: it's not a bright idea to hijack someone else's thread.
Although I did make sure of the "755" rule mentioned all over this forum
Where is that rule? Who did say that there is such a rule? The rule is: read the permissions section of the docs. It clearly explains that there can be no such thing as a "755 rule", as the permissions you need to apply depend on your webserver setup.

rosede12

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:22 pm »

Joachim,

Thank you for the reply.

After posting this message, I did read through the "Trouble-shooting upload problems" FAQ.  There were a couple of things that looked like they might pertain to me.  I tweaked a couple of setting in the PHP.ini file, but I haven't had a chance yet to see if they solved my problem.  Forgot to check the permissions, but I really doubt that would be an issue, since I have never had this issue before.  Its most like the PHP settings.

Thanks.

Daryl Rose

gr8tfate

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:02:56 am »

@both: do exactly as suggested in the upload troubleshooting section of the docs and the next section that is for apparent reasons named "asking for support on upload issues".

@rosede12: if the batch-add screen exceeds the limitations imposed by your webhost, batch-add less pics in one go or use the MassImport plugin. Upgrade - most recent stable release is cpg1.4.14

@gr8tfate: it's not a bright idea to hijack someone else's thread.Where is that rule? Who did say that there is such a rule? The rule is: read the permissions section of the docs. It clearly explains that there can be no such thing as a "755 rule", as the permissions you need to apply depend on your webserver setup.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to "hijack" someone's thread. I choose to post in it since I had the same problem. What ended up solving the problem was using the J-uploader offered as a plugin on this site. It works great. Thx for the post though, it was very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.