Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: email not sent or received  (Read 13476 times)

pcp20us

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
email not sent or received
« on: December 25, 2007, 09:43:19 am »

Hello

I am running cpg 1.4.9 stramm plugin 1.3.1.

Admin email set is set correctly.

New users do not receive email notifications.
Ecards are not received yet they are in the log files.
Photo shop confirmation emails not received.

I have read the forums and tested and check config.

Is there a way to test what is happening, or if there is an option i have missed.

Site is noosaimages.com.au login test1 pass test.

Any help aprreciated.

Merry Xmas

Pete

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: email not sent or received
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:48:34 am »

upgrade asap

pcp20us

• Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 09:59:24 am »

HA HA

Thought someone might say that..

do u mean cpg and photo shop ??

what are the lastest stable version.

I do not want to upgrade until this is working. cause i use to have it working in a test environment

pete

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:07:35 am »

both

CPG 1.4.14
Shop 1.3.5

Rade

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:51:09 am »

I am having the same problem. Newly registered users are not receiving their confirmation emails after I have activated their account.

E-Card I sent to myself never arrived.

Regards,

Rade

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:44 am »

What kind of answer do you expect when trying to hijack a thread with an issue that is probably unrelated? Where's the link to your gallery? Where's the non-admin test user account that we could possibly use? What are your email settings in coppermine's config? Have you configured the admin email address in coppermine's config, and how?

pcp20us

• Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »

Hi

I have been trhink bout this.

I don't want to upgrade as i set tjis up a while ago. I have had to modify php script files. I don't want to upgrade at this stage as it will dlete some of the mods i have had to do.

Are there any suggestion on how to go about testing this so i can get it working then i willl need to do an upgade.

Pete

Rade

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:02:03 am »

What kind of answer do you expect when trying to hijack a thread with an issue that is probably unrelated? Where's the link to your gallery? Where's the non-admin test user account that we could possibly use? What are your email settings in coppermine's config? Have you configured the admin email address in coppermine's config, and how?

Looked related to me, so I thought I would inform someone that I am having the same problems. Hijack a thread ?

So many demanding questions - Gee I was only informing this site that I am having the same issues as "pcp20us"
I am new to all this.

Wow I did not expect such hostility. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 09:54:59 am »

I don't want to upgrade as i set tjis up a while ago. I have had to modify php script files. I don't want to upgrade at this stage as it will dlete some of the mods i have had to do.
Not upgrading is not an option. It is absolutely mandatory to upgrade no matter what. Of course it's a drawback of heavily modifying the core code of any app: upgrading get's harder. This is how you perform the upgrade: use a diff-viewer like WinMerge to find out what the difference between your modified version and a vanilla copy of that version of coppermine is. Take a note of those changes. Then perform the upgrade as suggested in the docs. After that, re-add your modifications using the notes you have taken before. Has been asked and explained in the past frequently.
However it's not a bright idea to discuss upgrade issues on the sub-board that is dedicated to email issues, as it clutters this thread and makes it less likely for others to figure this out and benefit of it.

So many demanding questions - Gee I was only informing this site that I am having the same issues as "pcp20us"
I am new to all this.
Look: coppermine is not an email app. It doesn't come with an email mechanism of it's own - it relies on the webserver that your gallery is installed on to be capable to send emails, so yours is not a valid report of a possible bug, since there can not be a genuine coppermine bug in itself that keeps you from sending emails using coppermine. There are thousands of coppermine installs on the internet where sending emails from coppermine works fine, so the fact that you have issues sending emails using the built-in features of coppermine and the fact that the thread starter is having issues sending emails using an additional mod just make those issues different. Different issues should go into different threads. However, I already told you what you need to do if you want email support. Just posting "I have similar issues" doesn't mean anything nor will it solve your issues. This is not a matter of hostility or friendliness, but part of my job as board moderator: I do both support as well as moderator tasks. As this is a huge board (with thousands of postings each month), it's part of my job to keep this forum usable for others as a knowledge base, so I have to make sure that both board rules as well as common sense are being respected. Being new to all this is not bad, however it's no excuse for doing something wrong in terms of not respecting board rules, which is what I had to remind you of. Don't consider this as hostility, but rather reluctance to spend a huge effort to explain things in detail over and over with icing on top of it. In fact, I like to post straightforward. Additionally, English is not my first language, so maybe I lack the proper words to post this in a manner that sounds less "hostile". Let me re-assure you: no hostility meant.

Joachim

Rade

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:30:50 pm »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I learned a lot from your reply. I am sorry if I posted in the wrong forum (I am very new to forums too). I will do my best to follow the board rules. Your English is excellent. So now I can tell my buddy not to worry about translating my "issues" into your native language. As I now know my email problem is not yours. ;-)

Thank you again.

Best Wishes,

Rade

pcp20us

• Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 08:50:26 pm »

Hi

Did the upgade.

Seems my host does not support sendmail. So i configured using SMPT.
I have a local web server running on my windows pc for thesting. Thats works .

However, my real site configured with SMPT doesnot send any emails ???
Any ideas.

Thanks

Pete

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:27:15 am »

It's little surprise that your local testbed works with SMTP: that protocol is usually supported on Windows-driven servers. On shared hosts, the webhost usually runs Unix/Linux. It's possible that they haven't enabled sendmail or that they haven't configured their webserver to be capable to send emails at all. Usually, the reason is that improperly configured scripts can be abused to send loads of spam. Webhosts are afraid that you might be a newbie and therefor their server (on which you're hosted) might get pirated and taken over by some spammer or malevolent attacker. The webhosts are afraid about their reputation as well, which is understandable. That's why I consider it a wise move to disable the webserver's capabilities to send emails in the first place.
Bottom line: this is not a coppermine issue, as we can't tell you what to do: ask your webhost for support instead - ask them how a script can send emails. Ask them if it is possible at all and if yes, what you need to do.
But what can you do if your webhost can not or doesn't want to help you and enable emails? Well, don't use them in the first place: turn ecards and all other email-related features in coppermine off. In my opinion, there's too much email being sent around by webservers anyway. In fact the only legitimate means of sending emails around is the "forgot password" feature, all other features are bloat by now. If the lack of email support by your webhost really bothers you, the only option you have is to look for another webhost who offers the feature you need.

pcp20us

• Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:43:45 pm »

OK.

So are you saying that the smpt settings don't work with a linux/unix host?
To tell me not to use the email function is silly. MY web site needs it for email purchase for which the photo shop plugin  sends out and email to confirm a purchase.

I shall talk to my hoster about this.
Coppermine has the smpt fuction to send email, can it be configured to work  is what i was asking

Cheers

Pete

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 05:52:06 pm »

So are you saying that the smpt settings don't work with a linux/unix host?
No, that's not what I said.

To tell me not to use the email function is silly. MY web site needs it for email purchase for which the photo shop plugin  sends out and email to confirm a purchase.
Quite frankly: i don't care if you manage to solve this or not. You're not listening to what I'm saying: email support is entirely your problem - not ours - as it is a matter of server setup. So my advice is: take it up with your webhost.

I shall talk to my hoster about this.
Yes, do that. That's what I said.

Coppermine has the smpt fuction to send email, can it be configured to work  is what i was asking
Coppermine does not come with an SMTP server engine, it can just use one if it already exists on your server. That's what the config options are for - nothing else.

pcp20us

• Go the open sources
    • noosaimages.com.au
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 05:48:35 am »

Wow, what a response.

I have been reading other response you guys reply with. To me they are very hostile. I appreciate that you enjoy this work and this is open source code.

I was simple asking question, i do not fully understand SMPT, i know cpg has the function to use.
I am unclear on what is needed to use it, hence the question.

Thankyou for letting me know about the smpt function in coppermine and thaty the server is responsible for smpt function. That allows me to understand what is needed.

Thanks

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.