Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Done]: Suggestion to Change Wording in Album Properties  (Read 15000 times)

bolling5

• Coppermine newbie
[Done]: Suggestion to Change Wording in Album Properties
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:10:39 am »

I installed and configured the software with very minimal problems. Thanks! I came to the forum to find a solution for "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files" error that appeared when my registered users tried to upload files. I (and many others) found the problem was confusion with the term "Visitor" on the Album Properties page in the phrase "Visitors can upload files". Visitor is a term that is commonly used interchangeably with Guest in many web applications such as forums, and this might be the cause of many of the support requests for this upload problem, because we first think that if we select "Yes", we are giving guests the ability to upload files. Thanks for the perfect file sharing application!

John
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:12:16 am by Joachim Müller »

Nibbler

Re: Suggestion to Change Wording in Album Properties
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:30:27 am »

What wording do you suggest?

bolling5

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:48:34 am »

"Users can upload files" would be the best wording because the documentation states "If the user is suppossed to upload to public albums (that need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, the admin needs to specify at least one public album where users are allowed to upload to using the album properties screen." That's what threw me off course, and I noticed that others in the support forum had the same problem.

Thanks,
John

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:55 am »

That makes it sound like it doesn't apply to guests (which it does). You have simply inverted the problem :)

bolling5

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:19 am »

Then the alternate, but more obscure solution, would be to change "User" to "Visitor" in the documentation so they match. The first option would prevent more numerous support requests though.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:11:21 am by bolling5 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:12:01 am »

Thanks for your readiness to improve the docs and find a better wording.
The full section reads
If you get this message when being logged in as non-admin, you have to make sure that you have understood the concept behind coppermine: the admin determines on the groups control panel wether users can have personal galleries (i.e. create albums inside their user gallery) or if they are allowed to upload into admin-created public albums. If the user is allowed to have personal galleries and gets this message, he needs to create at least one album first by clicking on "Create / oder my albums". If the user is suppossed to upload to public albums (that need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, the admin needs to specify at least one public album where users are allowed to upload to using the album properties screen.
Anyway, I have edited the docs for cpg1.5.x accordingly and added another paragraph, so the right column now looks like this:
  • If you get this message when being logged in as the admin of your gallery, you have to create at least one album where file uploads could possibly be uploaded to
  • If you get this message when being logged in as non-admin, you have to make sure that you have understood the concept behind coppermine: the admin determines on the groups control panel wether users can have personal galleries (i.e. create albums inside their user gallery) or if they are allowed to upload into admin-created public albums. If the user is allowed to have personal galleries and gets this message, he needs to create at least one album first by clicking on "Create / oder my albums". If the user is suppossed to upload to public albums (that need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, the admin needs to specify at least one public album where visitors are allowed to upload to using the album properties screen.
  • If you get this message when not being logged in at all (i.e. being a guest), you need to review the permissions concept as well: if you actually want to allow guests to upload, you have to specify the general upload ability on the groups control panel (for the guest/anonymous group) and you have to modify the album properties screen of at least one album and allow uploads for visitors there.
This will go into the docs for cpg1.5.x. I hope that this explains things as thoroughly as needed. However, in my opinion, the error message is pretty straightforward ("Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files"), so there is no further need for clarification. In fact, the asterisk (foot note) explains this already on the album properties screen.
Anyway, marking thread as "done".

bolling5

• Coppermine newbie
Re: [Done]: Suggestion to Change Wording in Album Properties
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:12:59 am »

Excellent job! I see just one typo in the paragraph which is "Create / oder my albums"

Thanks for your quick willingness to make an excellent product even better.

John 

NicMason.com

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:01 am »

Hi,
Just some grammar suggestions for this part of the docs...
I will be be able to help with at least some of the English version of the documentation for version 1.5,  with regards grammar and a typo/spell-check,  if the developers so desire.
Cheers!
Nic

* If you get this message when being logged in as the admin of your gallery, then you have need to create at least one album where files uploads could possibly can be uploaded to.
    * If you get this message when being logged in as a non-admin, then you have need to make sure that you have understood understand the permissions concept behind Coppermine: On the groups control panel the admin determines on the groups control panel whether users can have create personal galleries (i.e. create albums inside their user gallery) or if they are allowed to upload into admin-created public albums. If the user is allowed to have create personal galleries and gets this message, he needs to must create at least one album first by clicking on "Create / Order my albums". If the user is suppossed only allowed to upload to public albums (that which need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, then the admin needs to specify at least one public album where users are allowed to upload filesto, using the album properties screen.
    * If you get this message when not being logged in at all (i.e. being logged in as a guest), then you need to review the Coppermine permissions concept as well here also: If you actually want to allow guests to upload, you have need to specify the general upload ability on the groups control panel (for the guest/anonymous group) and you have will also need to modify the album properties screen of at least one album and to allow uploads for visitors guests there in that album.

The suggested changes will then read as follows:
    * If you get this message when logged in as the admin of your gallery, then you need to create at least one album where files can be uploaded.
    * If you get this message when logged in as a non-admin, then you need to make sure you understand the permissions concept behind Coppermine: On the groups control panel the admin determines whether users can create personal galleries (i.e. create albums inside their user gallery) or if they are allowed to upload into admin-created public albums. If the user is allowed to create personal galleries and gets this message, he must create at least one album first by clicking on "Create / Order my albums". If the user is only allowed to upload to public albums (which need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, then the admin needs to specify at least one public album where users are allowed to upload files, using the album properties screen.
    * If you get this message when not logged in at all (i.e. logged in as a guest) then you need to review the Coppermine permissions concept here also: If you want to allow guests to upload, then you need to specify the general upload ability on the groups control panel (for the guest/anonymous group) and you will also need to modify the album properties screen of at least one album to allow uploads for guests in that album.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:58:02 am »

Just some grammar suggestions for this part of the docs...
Thanks for your suggestions. I applied your grammar fixes, but there are some technical details that are not correct:
You don't log in as guest. As guest is per definition not logged in.
The issue with the terms "visitor" vs. "guest" vs. "user" can not be solved by just replacing the word "visitor" with "guest", as the setting applies to "non-guests" (i.e. logged in users belonging to particular groups) as well if you apply the corresponing options in the groups control panel.

I will be be able to help with at least some of the English version of the documentation for version 1.5,  with regards grammar and a typo/spell-check,  if the developers so desire.
That sounds great. However, it's hard to apply your changes if you only quote the text, as we can't use copy'n paste if you do. If you can, provide the changes as HTML. The changes I applied read like this:
Code: [Select]
      <ul>
        <li>If you get this message when logged in as the admin of your gallery, then you need to <a href="albums.htm#albmgr_create">create at least one album</a> where files can be uploaded</li>
        <li>If you get this message when logged in as a non-admin, then you need to make sure you understand the permissions concept behind Coppermine: on the <a href="groups.htm#group_cp">groups control panel</a> the admin determines  whether users can create personal galleries (i.e. create albums inside their user gallery) or if they are allowed to upload into admin-created public albums. If the user <strong>is</strong> allowed to create personal galleries and gets this message, he must create at least one album first by clicking on &quot;Create / Order my albums&quot;. If the user is only allowed to upload to public albums (which need to be created by the admin in advance) and gets the above mentioned error message, then the admin needs to specify at least one public album where visitors are allowed to upload, using the <a href="albums.htm#album_prop">album properties</a> screen.</li>
        <li>If you get this message when not logged in at all (i.e. being a guest), then you need to review the Coppermine permissions concept as well: if you want to allow guests to upload (not recommended because of potential abuse), you need to specify the general upload ability on the <a href="groups.htm#group_cp">groups control panel</a> (for the guest/anonymous group) and you will also need to modify the <a href="albums.htm#album_prop">album properties</a> screen of at least one album and allow uploads for visitors in that album.</li>
      </ul>
It's much easier to use a diff viewer to see your changes.

I'm looking forward to your review of the docs. Please start separate threads on the regular support board for that. A mod will then move your threads as needed.

NicMason.com

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for that.  I still need to get my head around the concepts of guests/users/visitors etc and their exact definitions.

If the documentation is in a final state more or less,  I will post my suggestions (in HTML) as time permits,  as I read through it.

Cheers!

Nic
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.