Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to upgrading - Do I lose my previos mods?  (Read 7039 times)

Singular

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • A Singular Creation
New to upgrading - Do I lose my previos mods?
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:43:58 pm »

Hello all,
I have been told that I need to upgrade to the latest vesion. After reading the documentation, it looks like all mods and changes to my theme will be overridden once I upgrade and that I will have to reapply them. Is this true? I have a modder who handles these things, but he is a phpBB modder and is new to this as well. In phpBB, you don't lose any of your mods when upgrading.

This worries me because one day I will probably have to do this myself or at least find someone else to do it. That person will not know all of the changes my current modder has made.

thanks,
Joe

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: New to upgrading - Do I lose my previos mods?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:54 pm »

After reading the documentation, it looks like all mods and changes to my theme will be overridden once I upgrade and that I will have to reapply them. Is this true?
For the mods: yes, that's true. For the theme: no, that's not true if you upgrade minor versions (e.g. from cpg1.4.12 to cpg1.4.14) - at least if you did as suggested in the docs and have given your custom theme a name of it's own to avoid collisions with the default themes that come with the package. However, if you upgrade from major releases (e.g. from cpg1.3.x to cpg1.4.x), you'll have to apply the suggested changes to your custom theme.

In phpBB, you don't lose any of your mods when upgrading.
That is not true: if you modify phpBB's core code, you'll run into the same issues when upgrading. That's why phpBB makes you changes the templates and not the core code. We have a similar concept with theming and the plugin API. However if you have not used the concept (maybe because you haven't been aware of it), then yes: you will have to re-apply all your modifications that you did on the core code when you upgrade, as the upgrade process requires you to replace your core files with new copies.

This worries me because one day I will probably have to do this myself or at least find someone else to do it. That person will not know all of the changes my current modder has made.
Don't be afraid: use a diff viewer like WinMerge to figure out the difference between a vanilla copy of coppermine and your modded version. Take a not of the differences. Then apply the upgrade. Once it is done, re-apply the mods using your notes from the diff.

Bottom line: post a link to your gallery for a start.

Singular

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • A Singular Creation
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:39:16 pm »

Thanks so much for your reply. This is very reassuring.

My gallery is: http://asingularcreation.com/Gallery/ just in case you want to look at it.

all the best,
Joe

alicor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 08:21:09 pm »

havent got a clue how to upgrade, I have the zipped file in a folder, I have my gallery on my webhosted site. I cannot ever get to the administration part of my gallery. so how can I upgrade?
thanks

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:25 pm »

Make your own thread please.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.