Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the forum...  (Read 12636 times)

just_some_guy

• Supporter
  • Coppermine addict
  • I am currently on holiday, back in a few weeks. :D
For the forum...
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

Quote from: GauGau
[Rant]Quite frankly: it's very annoying to have to repeat this over and over. How bold does a sticky have to be? How bold do we need to write those sections in the docs? Why do people still constantly ignore them? It's utterly frustrating that everyone ignores those sticky, mandatory things. Do I have to change the registration procedure of the forums, starting some sort of quiz that makes sure you have read the docs before asking questions?  [/Rant].

In response to this post i had an idea. I have seen a system on another forum where there is a tick box on the posting page that is mandatory to click and i think it said something like "Im sure this is the correct section to post". Well i was thinking maybe you could come up with something similar for here. Especially the Uploads section, where the tick box would say i have read "Trouble-shooting the upload process. " with a link to the thread and you cant post with out clicking it.

Just an idea...What do you think?
Tambien, Hablo Español      PHP - Achieve Anything
"The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow. " - Bill Gates
Windows 7 Forums

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: For the forum...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:46:59 am »

We would have to come up with a custom hack for this. I was thinking along those lines as well, with an even more sophistictaed hack: users with a post count < 5 would have to go through a series of confirmation dialogs to make sure that they respect board rules. The number of dialogs that they would have to go through would become less as their post count increases.
The main drawback is the fact that it's more work for us in the first place (we'd have to come up with such a hack first). Second drawback is the fact that upgrading the forum would become harder with custom code being present.
Third drawback is the fact that we'd need to boss around legitimate users as well (e.g. potential contributors). Not sure if this should be implemented. After all, the posting you refered to was just a rant ;)

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.