Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drag and Drop Image Upload  (Read 8192 times)

clifflui

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.viperfusion.com
Drag and Drop Image Upload
« on: March 22, 2004, 01:50:18 pm »

Some companies (like oFoto) have begun to roll out online galleries that allow (authenticated) users to select and drag photos from their desktop onto the browser window for upload.

The picture displayed as a thumbnail inside a box and you can drag more photos into the box. The size is displayed underneath (or wherever). Then the user presses [upload] and viola, all the pictures are uploaded into the named album with a progress bar.

Auto resize to admin-set-size preferable as a checkbox option. Auto resize to max-size mandatory.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 05:02:53 pm »

There's a similar thing for menalto.gallery that should be portable to coppermine as well; there has been a discussion on the old board about it. Maybe someone will volunteer to contribute a hack...

GauGau

Zippy

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 09:27:45 pm »

This is an excellent suggestion, as the real strength of coppermine lies in it's easy to use interface.

Drag and drop is as easy as it gets, and the "ofoto" (Kodak) one is particularly nice, showing small thumbnails of each dropped image, it's size and a status icon showing if it's been uploaded yet or not.

The whole thing is wrapped up nice and solidly with a status bar showing overall progress at the bottom, it really instills confidence, and encourages uploads.

Sorry if that's a "me too" post, but I just wanted to add some mention of Kodak's flourishes. :)

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • http://tariquesani.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 06:08:31 am »

I looked around and noticed that almost every Drag N Drop uploader was an Active X control which worked only in Windows  (naturally) and almost always works with IE only

The alternatives are
1) Create a flash / Java Applet
2) Modify Gallery Remote to work with CPG (it is GPLed)
3) Have someone hack a desktop application (with GTK)
4) Have someone hack a XUL application
SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 06:29:57 am »

I vote number 2

Zippy

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 11:03:52 am »

Quote from: "tarique"
I looked around and noticed that almost every Drag N Drop uploader was an Active X control which worked only in Windows  (naturally) and almost always works with IE only

Aha, so that's how it works. I did wonder. Perhaps any of you with different OS or browsers could give ofoto a try, because surely such a big Kodak-backed project wouldn't use a technology that wasn't targetted at the majority user? Is ActiveX an open standard? Questions, questions...

2) Modify Gallery Remote to work with CPG (it is GPLed)

Having downloaded & tested gallery yesterday (I didn't like it btw ;)) I was indeed intrigued by Gallery Remote, I assume it's a similar sort of thing, but Java based? For my money I'm scared off by the HUGE Java VM download, which has never worked on my XP setup for some reason.
*shrugs*

Well, there's some feedback for you anyway. :)

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:23:26 am »

Quote from: "Zippy"
Perhaps any of you with different OS or browsers could give ofoto a try, because surely such a big Kodak-backed project wouldn't use a technology that wasn't targetted at the majority user?

Well like I said I did give it a try - does not work on Mozilla or any other OS ad Kodak is not the only big name that supports stuff which does not run on any other browser than IE

http://launch.yahoo.com is another such surprise

Surprise surprise....

Zippy

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 11:28:03 am »

Ok, good work sir.
Wow, I'm surprised at that! But then a quick google for browser stats throws up a fairly consistent 75% use of IE6/windows. I guess Kodak made their choice for a majority. So it looks like 75% of ofoto users get a funky upload tool, and the other 25% get something else that's just slightly less funky. Makes sense really.

clifflui

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.viperfusion.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 02:37:26 pm »

Thing is, I need the ease of use because I'll have more users 'active' on the site. The regular process is a bit hassling. Y'know, people who don't use IE are probably good with computers. I'm targeting this feature at non-techies.

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 03:40:56 am »

Devs are targetting this software to be good rather than just popular - so you are unlikely to see any IE only features being offered in the mainstream setup.

People are however free to create addons and post them
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.