Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Done]: A "Why upgrade" section in the docs  (Read 4709 times)

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
[Done]: A "Why upgrade" section in the docs
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »

Can we have a why upgrade section in the docs?

A nice big red warning to tell users to keep their install up to date. Some info on things to do to help you keep your install up to date such as keeping records of any mod you make, plugins you install etc.

Most importantly the reasons there are upgrades in the first place.

It would also be handy to link to in the forums when people need reminding to update.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:12:27 am by Joachim Müller »
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: A "Why upgrade" section in the docs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:14 am »

You mean like http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upgrade_why ? You're right - I have added a similar section to the dev docs (in the SVN) and updated the preliminary online version as well (see http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upgrading.htm#upgrade_why).
cpg1.5.x will also feature a news feed for the admin - it will look similar to the one displayed in the screenshot. This way, we want to alert coppermine gallery admins of the need to upgrade on their sites.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: [Done]: A "Why upgrade" section in the docs
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:19:04 pm »

Fantastic stuff. I did see it in the old docs but not for the new. News feed looks like a great idea.

One minor type in the 1.5 docs though but I'm probably being pedantic. Should be an e on the end of therefore.

"As suggested above, there are several minor bugfixes that go into each new release as well, not only the one major bug or vulnerability that lead to the maintenance release. Therefor, it will not be enough to just fix the single vulnerability that has been the initial reason for a new package to be released. Instead, always upgrade to the most recent stable release as soon as it has been announced."

Considering English is not your first language you have a very good grasp of it. Better than most of us Brits anyway :-[

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: [Done]: A "Why upgrade" section in the docs
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:40 am »

I did see it in the old docs but not for the new.
Hehe, you didn't spot it because it has been added yesterday, just a minute before I replied to your thread. In fact, it was your idea to add a "why upgrade" section to the docs for cpg1.5.x, which is what I did when reading your proposal: I added that section just yesterday.

One minor type in the 1.5 docs though but I'm probably being pedantic. Should be an e on the end of therefore.
Thanks for the suggestion - committed to the SVN. Please go ahead and correct spelling mistakes if you find them. That's totally fine by me.

Considering English is not your first language you have a very good grasp of it. Better than most of us Brits anyway :-[
I'm flattered - thanks ;D.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.