Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying problem uploading into folders.  (Read 3274 times)

Riccardo83

• Coppermine novice
Annoying problem uploading into folders.
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:12:23 am »

When you try to upload photos into an existing album, e.g. Press section 2006 in my alizee gallery, you can do so via FTP or Online. When I created the gallery I uploaded all files via FTP and used Batch Add Files.

However if you want to upload more photos at a later point into the same gallery via coppermine(not ftp), it won't put the photos into the same album I added them via Batch add. Which is ANNOYING.

Means it would put the file into a folder like /albums/userpics/16092/ instead of the desired /albums/promo200x_xxx/ folder.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Annoying problem uploading into folders.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:07:31 am »

Is this a rant or are you asking for help? In fact, the location of the file doesn't matter: the database keeps track of it and "knows" that it resides within a particular album. The human doesn't have to "know" where the pic resides. Coppermine doesn't move pics around on the webserver's disk space for reasons of stability and maintainability.
If this bothers you, always use the same upload method (i.e. FTP-upload plus batch-add) and stick to it.

Riccardo83

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:30:28 am »

Well. It is quite important as we link certain images on a fansite, for examples all the press article we know in which folder they are. Also if u would download the whole pictures from ftp it would be still sorted.

Problem is, not only me is adding photos, loads of people, i cnat give em all access to ftp. Isn't there a way to change that, i know that 4images gallery i used before was putting all user uploads in a temporary folder, and then as soon as the admin accepts it it moves those pictures to the right folder.

I really do think it would make things easier..

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:34:52 am »

No, you can't change this without severe modifications in Coppermine's core code. As I said already: coppermine doesn't move files around. If you need all files to reside in the same folder, then coppermine probably is not the proper app for you, sorry.

Riccardo83

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:48:16 am »

mhhh unfortunately but i love the rest of it, greap app. don't u think it could be considered a feature request? or not at all?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:15:25 am »

Won't be considered, as it would mean adding a lot of instability - with a lot of people not being aware of the impact this would have and 90% of all coppermine users not fully understanding the file/folder permissions concept, which would be a pre-requisite for such a feature to work. Such a feature would help a minority (sadly, you belong to that minority), but the majority of coppermine users would have no benefit. Instead, many would have issues with files being lost when the movement of files fails due to improperly set up permissions (keyword "CHMOD"). Coppermine has got a good reputation for ease of use, stability and maintainability - I would not sacrifice this for the sake of a feature that would only help a minority of users who use coppermine for something it hasn't initially been designed for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.