Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google images again  (Read 5532 times)

marian

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • BYM Photo Gallery
Google images again
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:58:40 pm »

I've visited this topic before and still have no solution as to why our large gallery has so few google image referrals - maybe 100 on a good day from 43,000+ pictures.
It is true that Google does spider Coppermine Gallery, it comes up with 93,900 results for us, BUT this is google's ordinary bot in action, not the image bot.
We only have about 1000 images in Google images and many of those are from the rest of the site, not from the Gallery. The ones that do come from the gallery are mostly thumbnails.
Has anyone found the answer? Is it Nibbler's site map mod, or Jokey Jake's? Is it alt tags? Is it using mod rewrite? Is it explaining textually to the image bot that it needs to click to enlarge a thumbnail?
I'll be delighted to hear of any success stories, because less than 100 Google Image referrals a day, to a gallery with that amount of pix, which on a "hot" day can get up to 40,000 referrals from RSS feeds, Google news and forum/news sites around the world is crazy!!

Willow69

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Google images again
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:23:32 pm »

Unfortunately this is not an answer. I just want to mention that I have the same problem. None of my pictures is available at Google Picture Search.

If one like to check whether I made a mistake setting up Coppermine here is the link to the gallery. The domain name is hosted by a large German provider and forwarded to another server. That's why, after you've entered the page name, you'll see an IP instead of the URL on all further sides:

URL: http://www.foto-friends.de

Cheers,
Willow

Aluminumlady

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:53:46 am »

I realize you must not have found a solution to the Google images problem or you would have posted it in response to the previous people.  It's been a year. 
However, some scripts and html in guestbooks and forums have a "no follow" which tells the Bot not to follow links.  Is there "no follows"  or something like that which would apply to the pictures in the gallery that tells the bots not to capture the images in the Google search.  Can I put in a mega tag to tell the robots to search the site every few days?  I love the photo gallery.  I link my photos into my forum.  Google likes my forum but it still doesn't pick up the images because they are really in the Coppermine gallery.  I might have to just load the pictures into a folder and forget the gallery.  After all don't we all want Google to find us to everyone else can too.     

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:54:56 am »

Make sure that you haven't denied access for the robot using one of the supported methods (robots.txt or meta tags). Apart from that, google might consider your content not to be worthy to be spidered. Since only Willow left his URL, I can only guess if this is the case for you as well. The issues with Willow's site are that he nested his category/album structure very deep, which means that the google spider needs to follow many links. Additionally, there is very little textual content, so in terms of search engine friendliness, you should add a balanced number of keywords, title and description for the images. Willow's domain redirects to the IP address (the URL he posted redirects to http://87.106.18.130/), which is very bad in terms of search engine friendliness and probably a result of cheap webhosting or self-hosting. Google doesn't "know" the domain at all (http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afoto-friends.de returns zero results), the IP address (http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A87.106.18.130) returns just 121 results and has a page rank of "2", which is not surprising at all.
As the regular google bot doesn't consider the site worthy to be spidered, the google image bot will of course only spider a very small number of pics as well.

I can't tell for the rest of you who posted on this thread, but only for Willow: you haven't understood the basic concepts of search engine friendliness - this is not related to coppermine, but to your reluctance to do the basics in SEO.

The only thing that relates to coppermine is the fact that all the alternative navigational stuff (the meta albums etc.) result in a lot of double content, seen from the spider's perspective, which currently only can be circumvented with manually adding nofollow tags to the meta album links. This has been discussed in similar threads already. But before you try that, do the basics first.

Justinr

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »

I too have been wondering how to attract Google's attention.

I am using the CMS 'SiteStudio' as a website package and the links to the Coppermine galleries are entered within the templates as required. Is this embedding the Galleries too deeply?

www.justinseye.com/ is my site and http://justinseye.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=4 is the first gallery page.

Justin.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:22:41 am »

How do you get to the gallery from the main page of your site?

Justinr

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:57:05 pm »

Via a link in the  pages entitled 'stock library' and 'event photography' Basically a visitor has to click on Stock Library from the menu bar and then click on another link at the bottom of the page selected.

I was also going to ask about Google analytics but that probably needs another thread.

Justin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.