Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MODERATORS PLEASE READ: YOU ARE FLAMING ME FOR SUGGESTIONS  (Read 5179 times)

vindog

• Coppermine novice
MODERATORS PLEASE READ: YOU ARE FLAMING ME FOR SUGGESTIONS
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:29:23 am »

I told you I am using a HOSTED COPPERMINE on Intermedia.net.  I cannot CHANGE CODE; I AM NOT A DEVELOPER ON THEIR SYSTEM, I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO MODIFY CODE, nor will THEY.

EVERY FEATURE I'VE ASKED FOR IS SOMETHING THAT I SUGGEST YOU SHOULD INCLUDE INTERFACES FOR IN THE APPLICATION, not do work arounds that required changing the code.  Prime example is the ability to have customized email (outbound messages) that is modified within THE INTERFACE. 

You are slamming me for asking for feature that I want as a user of this system, that should be available to me if I were to continue using coppermine.  what I've suggested should make the product even more viable since a system deployed would be more "quasi customizable" or configurable.

Please re-read the "rejects" you have slammed me for in this context, and see if you are still bent on flaming me for trying to improve this product.

thanks.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 03:29:40 pm by GauGau »

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: MODERATORS PLEASE READ: YOU ARE FLAMING ME FOR SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:16:22 am »

Hey vindog,

Thanks for taking the time to submit your suggestions. I know how it is both as a user and developer. As a user, I wish all my feature requests I submit to a program/project would be implemented and I'm disappointed when they're not. As a developer, I understand that not all feature requests can be added to the codebase, either because of lack of time, infeasibility, or low or no value attributed to the feature when considering the needs of the user base.

I reviewed the rejected requests and I would agree with GauGau.

We rarely hear from people who are unable to change the code of Coppermine so it would seem most users are able to modify code when necessary. It is unfortunate that you are using a hosting solution that doesn't allow you to modify the code, but that was a decision that you made. You can decide to move to any number of other hosts in existence that would better suit your needs.

Also, just because a new feature makes an application "viable" to some, it might make the application more bloated to others. This bloat requires testing while developing, and it is more of a hassle to maintain the code in the long run. Each addition to the code adds a potential point of weakness and/or failure.

Don't forget that not only do we write the Coppermine code, we actually use it, which gives us a good sense of what features would be of value to users.

vindog

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:24:27 am »

Ok, so anybody have a complete windows hosted solution that also provides coppermine in a configuration that I can modify anything I want since the application isn't feature rich enough?

By the way, I am not expecting everything to be modified to my wishes; I do think that if you DID what I ask, the product would be FAR FAR FAR more useable as a commercial product.  After all, if you could provide something that provides excellent "flexibility" within the application, it may take more work but would be valuable.

Yeah, all you programmers say "why bother."   Maybe coppermine is just for programmers who like to play, not photographers who want to provide a service.  I want something that actually meets my needs (and serves a purpose, besides just posting jpgs.)   If I, a NON -PROGRAMMER photographer think its important and you programmers don't, you might not be asking the right people.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:28:54 pm »

I told you I am using a HOSTED COPPERMINE on Intermedia.net.  I cannot CHANGE CODE; I AM NOT A DEVELOPER ON THEIR SYSTEM, I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO MODIFY CODE, nor will THEY.
Once again, for the last time: WE DO NOT CARE FOR YOUR ISSUES WITH A PRE-INSTALLED, CRIPPLED SOLUTION. Yours is a non-issue. Enough shouting now!

Ok, so anybody have a complete windows hosted solution that also provides coppermine in a configuration that I can modify anything I want since the application isn't feature rich enough?
I already told you in your requests that the only supported install method is the one we suggest. Pre-installed coppermine is not an option in our eyes. Every webhost who fullfills the minimum requirements to run coppermine is fine, and there is an entire thread dedicated to webhosting that has those minimum reuirements. Avoid pre-installed, crippled environments like the plague. If you can't live without them, learn to live with the drawbacks they have, but don't complain here.

By the way, I am not expecting everything to be modified to my wishes; I do think that if you DID what I ask, the product would be FAR FAR FAR more useable as a commercial product.
That's your opinion. Others may have a different opinion. There are by far more feature requests than could possibly add to coppermine's core even if we wanted to. You'll have to leave it to our judgement if features will go into the core, as we're the ones who
a) have to do the work (i.e. implement ideas from feature requests and actually code them
b) have been around here for a longer time than you. We have read what people constantly request. Your requests have hardly ever been asked before, so I strongly doubt that a majority of users would find them usefull.
Many things you requested exist as a mod/hack/plugin: if you need them, download/apply them. I told you already that the feature requests board is not meant for support. If you need support, use the corresponding boards.

Yeah, all you programmers say "why bother."   Maybe coppermine is just for programmers who like to play, not photographers who want to provide a service.  I want something that actually meets my needs (and serves a purpose, besides just posting jpgs.)   If I, a NON -PROGRAMMER photographer think its important and you programmers don't, you might not be asking the right people.
You don't have to be a programmer to use coppermine. I'd say that the vast majority (>90%) of all coppermine users are non-programmers. Actually, our target audience are people who can install coppermine on their webspace (no programming skills required at all). If you don't have those skills and don't want to learn them, then yes: coppermine probably won't be the proper app for you to use.
Flaming programmers is not a bright thing to do if you want your requests to be accepted.

This thread is not a valid feature request in itself, it is just a frustrated rant imo. All-uppercase thread subjects are not a bright idea neither, as uppercase is being considered as shouting, and we don't like being shouted at. I can understand that you are frustrated, but I can not tolerate your misbehaviour. If you have something to say, do it in a a respectful way (respecting board rules as well as the people on this board) if you want others to listen to you.
Marking thread as "invalid".

Joachim

vindog

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:10:01 am »

This is the first time I've ever heard this level of "our way or no way" with software (and I know a good number of developers.)  This "product" and "this group" are not for me.   Too bad, because I thought if I reached out, someone would actually have something positive to say and I'd pay them to develop the site on the coppermine foundation.  I was wrong.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.