Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permission to view thumbnails only  (Read 4725 times)

anna.y

• Coppermine novice
    • Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Permission to view thumbnails only
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:38:07 am »

In cpg1.3.5 which I just upgraded from, I was able to set my entire gallery in such way that guests were able to view thumbnails only.  When they clicked on the thumbnail they got a message that they need to login...

I am not able to find this option in cpg1.4.12.  Making an individual album private prevents guests from viewing it at all and this is not what I want or need.  Is there a way for me to configure this again?

Anna
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:41:20 pm by GauGau »

anna.y

• Coppermine novice
    • Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Re: Permission to view thumbnails only
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:58 pm »

Thank you Nibbler and thank you for being so patient and prompt with your help.

Of course it worked like a charm!

Anna

natrlhy

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:03:29 am »

I tried making this change to a friends gallery and it did not work as expected. The displayimage.php file now looks like this:

Code: [Select]
if (!USER_ID) cpg_die(ERROR, 'You need to register to access this page', __FILE__, __LINE__);
/**       
 * Local functions definition
 */

The private thumbnail still shows up while logged out.  Am I missing something?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07:15 am »

Post a link to the site in question.

natrlhy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:09:58 am »

He's only got a few albums that are private but here is the main site:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/

and here is the category with the private albums he would like users to just see the thumbnails of:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=26

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:28:22 am »

The code suggested above is an all-or-nothing toggle: you can't determine a particular album with it. It just disables access to intermediate and full-sized images for unregistered users on the overall gallery, not just for a particular album.
You appear to have applied the code in question, as I get the expected message "You need to register to access this page" when going from a thumbnail page (e.g. from http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/thumbnails.php?album=317) to the intermediate page by clicking on the thumbnail.
Imo your question is invalid, as the code change seems to work exactly as advertized.
I strongly suggest to review the policy though: after all, the gallery you mentioned exists as a showcase for products of a company: what's the point in losing part of potential visitors (paying customers!) by hiding content? I would never buy a shirt if I couldn't preview it before I buy it (without the need to register).
I can understand that companies would love to get my personal data (email address) that is required during the registration process, that's why I never sign up before I'm actually convinced. The registration process should be optional, not mandatory.

natrlhy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:20 pm »

Hi GauGau,

Thanks for your prompt replies and input.

I do agree that most content for apparel should be fully viewable. They have a front end store and everything can be seen there. I will suggest this to them however.

I guess my thinking was with the code change was:

If any public or private album existed, the thumbnails at least could be viewed. When you click on a thumbnail to view the private album, it would then inform the guest to login/register to view the album. It does seem to work for these albums in this category: http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=20

however since these are public albums the user should be able to view them without logging in.

I was initially thinking that the thumbnails would be viewable by anyone going to a private album as well, as is the case under this category:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=26

The code changes that I have implemented from the FAQ don't seem to apply to private albums unless I am misunderstanding what the code change is for (seems to apply to all public albums only).

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.