Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the CPMFetch to display images from other domains (different URLs) I own  (Read 5341 times)

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster

Hi Vuud,

What I am proposing is doable, from a proof of concept, using the very ealy stage "Open Source"

Atomique

the one proposed above though is for any site in the internet, and have its risks as well as no control as to bandwidth usage that could be very costly to a personal site that is very popular.  And, of course, the aforementioned program is still at very early stage development, to be truly useful.  There are security risks that might not have been anticipated and not addressed that could be exploited by those who would access to such open sharing schemes.

I  wonder if it is possible instead to use the CPMFetch, to fetch images dynamically from different domain names that I already own myself, e.g.,

mydomain01.org
sub.mydomain01.org
myseconddomain02.com
collaborativedomain03.net
etc.

and display the images in yet another domain:

displaydomain.org

Some of the aforementioned domains (and URLs) are found in different servers (some might be in the same server but different subdomains) and many might be even outside the United States in the future.

If CPMFetch is usable for the aforementioned, unlike the  Atomique -- anyone can tap and link  scheme -- by developing  a script that will allow display of images from one site to another provider they all belong to the "allowed domains and subdomains, it is possible to address many privacy and security risk issues, as well as address the issue of bandwidth usage.  Most important, it is possible to achieve some editorial and quality control so that mediocre or dubious sites may not be linked freely to the system.

Thus, not only must it be shown that it is doable (which was already shown to be the case with the Atomique), it is as important, for the script developed to be practical, if it addressed the issues of privacy and security risks that might entail.

Thanks.

Cornelio

[edit by PYAP] Correct good URL [/edit]

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:14:24 pm by PYAP »

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster

The link given above for:

Atomique
http://www.atomique.org/blog/

did not display properly.

Vuud:

Please kindly let me know if this is something you would consider for the "hire me" kind of stuff and I shall give you more details (in private) in regard this project proposal. 

The aforementioned project proposal is part of what we hope would become a collaborative non-profit endeavor, in an effort to counter the censorship tendencies of commercial companies, like Flickr, Yahoo, MSN, Google, etc. that conspired with oppressive countries like China, to develop internet access format that essentially denies people within the borders of the country access to information, including images.

More recently, Flickr has implemented a highly flawed Filter policy, that essentially denied people from countries like Singapore, Hongkong, South Korea, and of all places Germany, from viewing photos that are deemed not to be safe by Flickr.  Examples of such photos blocked by Flickr Filter are shown here:

Free Speech and Censorship

illustrating how utterly ridiculous the Flickr Filter is.  The Flickr staff use their Filiter system also to block many protests images -- many of the ones you can view in the examples of such images.

I was arguing in our protests that while the Coppermine Photo Gallery (CPG) permissions systems (in a sense also a Filter system) is rather very primitive, CPGs permissions system performed much better in identifying with less ambiguity --  photos that might be deemed not suitable for the general public.  For example, in the
Free Speech and Censorship gallery, there are more images there, but I used the simple (that can be improved much better) CPG permissions, so that the public (including readers of this post) may not be able to view the more  images that would be considered borderline as to their suitability for general public view.

There was an audible furor, especially among the German members of Flickr as well as many supporters like myself, during the early implementation of the Flickr Filter.  Sadly, Flickr weather the "storm", just like Yahoo and many other internet companies have been able to deflect all the initial outcry (that even went all the way to the US Congress) when the tacit collaboration of these companies with China became public.  More unfortunate, the group called the Against Censorship at Flickr has been hijacked by Admins who could not stand anything or anyone whose views are contrary to their own.  They have a different take on the matter, of course, that they are doing it for the group.

In any event, it is not worth wasting time arguing with such people who think they are empowered to protect the group and thus muzzle dissent.  Our goal now is to find long term solutions, some quite Quixotic, in an attempt to fight the continued erosion of our freedom to speak freely and for our privacy to be protected.  These would include the continued trend towards more censorship by oppressive states with complicity from internet companies.

Images are critical in these long term goals.

The potential promise of the CPG to address the issue of a much improved Filter system*** is part of the reason for the interest in the potential of CPMFetch to serve the purpose of displaying images in a more decentralized system where the approved and collaborating domains might have to be placed in different parts of the world.

For example, there are a number of celebrated cases where the entire domains shut down (without any appeal)  by US-based webhosting services because powerful companies objected to the critical content of the site that was shut down.  Many US-based companies also generally do not allow any "political protest sites", or any form of "nudity", even art images that are viewed by the general public in many museums all over the world.

Cornelio
________
N.B.
*** I requested such a feature, referred to here as granularity, when I first joined this forum, but it was addressed and not included in the wish list for the next version 1.5 of CPG.  This will be requested as a separate "for hire" project in the general CPG forum, for job request.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.