Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to prevent bulk download on Window apache?  (Read 3306 times)

samw5

• Coppermine newbie
Best way to prevent bulk download on Window apache?
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:37:14 pm »

Just wondering what is the best way to prevent bulk website downloader type of software to access the albums and download everything?

I'm running 1.4 on a Windows Apache server. I tried to play around with .htaccess but I was wondering if there is a better way to secure the files so that people have access via the Coppermine website only.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:20:57 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Best way to prevent bulk download on Window apache?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:28:36 pm »

This is a tricky subject, as there is little difference between a legitimate human visitor, a (legitimate) search engine spider and an (abusive) offline copier. There's no method built into coppermine. Read the FAQ by one of the offline copier sites: http://www.httrack.com/html/abuse.html#WEBMASTERS

If you ask me, there are two suitable options:
  • use robots.txt to exclude legitimate spiders and copiers from indexing/downloading coppermine's albums folder, as copying the actual content (your pics and multimedia files) will steal most bandwidth
  • Use honeypot scripts that slow down copiers (Option 1i in the HTTRACK FAQ that I refered to above labelled "Use technical tricks to lag offline browsers" there)

Quick tipp for apache: make sure that you have turned indexes off for folders that don't contain index.php/index.htm/index.html)

Your question is not directly related to Coppermine (as suggested, Coppermine doesn't have a built-in feature to prevent bulk downloading except making registration mandatory), but more a matter of webserver setup, so I suggest googling for this: there are certainly better resources than this forum to figure out details.

samw5

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Best way to prevent bulk download on Window apache?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:34:39 pm »

cool, thanks for the quick reply.

ya I've already had indexes turned off and seing/listing img in the albums isn't possible, unless you know the picture full name/path.

I will add the robot.txt though I'm more concerned about rogue attempts at downloading all pictures using a program likst HTTrack not so much because of bandwidth but rather that some picture are more or less private.

In any case I'll take a look a the scripts as well.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.