Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will pay for 2 or 3 Separate Installations of Coppermine with Forum  (Read 5108 times)

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice

Hello from the Philippines,

I need 2 or even 3 separate installations (same hosting account) of Coppermine integrated with the SMF Forum (or even the PHPBB forum, like the demo in the link below

http://coppermine-gallery.net/Obsolete

Separate installations, almost identical, except of course each one will have a different theme.  I cannot afford much, being from the Philippines, but still willing to pay nevertheless.  Please PM me if you can do this for me right away.

Thanks.

Scrambled Egg
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:51:18 am by Sami »

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
Re: Will pay for 2 or 3 Separate Installations of Coppermine with Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:40:53 pm »

Just an added note:

I have a brand-new current installation of Gallery2 (Menalto) embedded into SMF v1.1.3 (no members yet), but think that Gallery2 will be too difficult for potential forum members to use, which is why I prefer Coppermine.  In addition, it seemed too difficult to get someone to do a theme for me for that integration.

I would like to keep the current very small database of categories and child boards to use with the Coppermine integration if possible.  But if it will make your work difficult, then I can start from scratch if necessary.

I am not stating any price since I have no idea where to begin, but would like, if possible for this to be completed in around 10 days.

thanks for your time.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:18:23 pm »

or even the PHPBB forum, like the demo in the link below  http://coppermine-gallery.net/Obsolete
Our demo isn't bridged to phpBB, but to SMF.

Separate installations, almost identical, except of course each one will have a different theme.
Why do you need three Coppermine installs? Why not just have different themes based on the category the visitor is in? Bridging 3 Coppermine installs with one forum is dead easy and no more complicated than performing a "regular" bridging (one gallery with one forum) three times. I suggest that you at least try for yourself before hiring someone to do your homework. Reason: if you're not capable to accomplish integration/bridging, you will definitely run into issues maintaining those three galleries.

Read sub-board rules, read first!.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:39:17 pm by GauGau »

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:32:48 am »

I plan to have 3 separate domains - one for members of my family, a 2nd one for members of my high school batch, and a 3rd one for members of my photography group. So it's not as simple as having one forum with separate categories.  Also, installing may be easy for you and guys like you, but not for me and guys like me.  Maintaining will definitely be much easier than installing, at least for me.  Besides, if I should run into issues, isn't that why we have the support forum here and at SMF, so people can help?  You sould like you are discouraging people to use Coppermine, and I hope that is not the case.  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:53:28 pm »

I plan to have 3 separate domains - one for members of my family, a 2nd one for members of my high school batch, and a 3rd one for members of my photography group.
Bridging doesn't work across domains, as it relies on cookies, which in turn can't be read across domain borders. Sub-somains should work though.

Maintaining will definitely be much easier than installing, at least for me.
I disagree: maintaining three galleries will triple the maintenance effort.

You sould like you are discouraging people to use Coppermine, and I hope that is not the case.  :)
Of course I'm not trying to discourage people to use coppermine. But Coppermine was designed and is aimed at people who are able to perform the install by themselves. I'm afraid that if you're going to have your galleries installed and set up (bridged) by a freelancer, you will run into issues later that can't be sorted out easily. Subsequently, the reputation of coppermine could suffer if you feel that maintaining it is too complicated for you. I'm convinced that anybody could install coppermine, provided you're not too lazy to read the documentation it comes with. All you need are your eyes to read the docs, your fingers to type in some passwords and your brain to re-read the docs in case anything doesn't work as expected. Searching the board for answers or googling for webserver-related stuff that isn't being covered in our docs/boards should do the trick when running into issues. You'll notice a steep learning curve when installing and setting up coppermine by yourself. Additionally, it's a very rewarding feeling for a newbie to have set up a pre-made package like coppermine for the first time. If you don't perform the install by yourself, you're going to miss all the fun!
As you can see, I certainly don't want to discourage you, but I just suggest taking one step at a time: install one coppermine-driven gallery, bridge it to your forum, get familiar with it and later move on to install number two and three (if you still feel at that stage that you need to have three separate galleries). You'll notice that having different domains for different galleries doesn't mean anything to end users: it is content that counts, not geekish gimmicks like a lot of sub-domains to play with.

Joachim

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:36:31 am »

Well, before I even saw your latest reply, I decided to do one single install of Coppermine initially, and it was REAL EASY to do, and even did the bridge installation to my SMF forum, and that was, supposedly, successful (will explain later in this post).  And yes, you are absolutely right, and it was very rewarding and gave me a great feeling when I was doing the configuration, etc.  It seemed that the bridging was successful, but then when I tried to upload my very first 5 photos (as a user and not as admin), I got the error message "impossible to move".  So now I will look for the solution somewhere in this forum and if I cannot find it, then I will post a request for help in the proper category. 

Thanks.

texas33

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 03:37:08 am »

Scramble, Let me know if you still need someone to install Coppermine, I can refer someone to you.

scrambled egg

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 02:04:34 am »

This is CLOSED.  Thanks to everyone who replied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.