Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermidiate pictures -- no space, but still appearing?  (Read 2882 times)

gadnio

• Coppermine newbie
Intermidiate pictures -- no space, but still appearing?
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:52:53 pm »

Hi,
Is there any possibility to display the intermediate pictures without explicitly saving them to the disk before?
It's Ok for me to spend more extra time when showing an intermediate picture as my gallery is getting big and space is of concern here.
I think there is certainly a resize() function of an image in GD that does not modify the original but keeps the data in memory for showing up.
Can this thing be done or it's an impossible dream?

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: Intermidiate pictures -- no space, but still appearing?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 01:56:50 pm »

Possible, but HD space is far cheaper than CPU. If a few users browse your gallery, on the fly resizing of pics surly  will need a lot of resources (even can bog you server down)

gadnio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

First, thanks for the immediate response. I really appreciate it.
If it's possible, I'd be very keen to know how to do it.. I guess my case is a corner one... and I know that processing power costs more, but in my particular case the gallery stays inactive in 99.5% of the time. I'm using it primarily for my own photo uploads and I'm not interested in and/or doubt it will ever be used much.. so in my case it's Ok to have some more processor-intensive operations that compensate the disk storage.

If possible, can this be done with a plugin or an option in the configuration dialog?

And, if any of the developers aren't interested in implementing such a feature, can someone of them please tell me how to create this functionality myself as I'm not a php expert, nor I know the code of coppermine?

Thanks in advance.

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:13:38 pm »

no, there's no out of the box solution afaik
you could disable creation of intermediate pics, then CPG would show your original instead. That one you can resize whilst uploading. Maybe that's a solution for you.

The on the fly resizing isn't recommended, possible yes, but not recommended at all. And I do not know if anyone would take the effort and code it (for free)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.