Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just an upgrade  (Read 3880 times)

itsa

• Coppermine novice
    • itsa
Just an upgrade
« on: June 10, 2007, 03:29:38 am »

http://photos.itsa.info/

Wanting to upgrade to the latest version of Coppermine. Been long enough since I installed the first rev (1.3 perhaps, don't remember) that I get weary thinking about digging into install details. No customizations were done beyond a few links from the album page, so it should be a typical install for anyone experienced with that. Don't know for how many hours to budget...

Thanks for any inquiries...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:05:32 am by Sami »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Just an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:53:06 am »

Just F.Y.I.: you're currently running cpg1.3.2. Upgrading should be easy. However, you're offering users to choose a number of custom themes designed by your webhost: you should specify if a possible taker would be required to upgrade all those custom themes as well, which would cause the most serious workload.
Estimation: the upgrade process itself (excluding the backup process, which depends on connection speed and number of files in the database) would take less than  30 minutes for an experienced user. Converting all custom themes would take another hour at least.
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to offer users a number of themes just because coppermine has the feature to give users this option. We recommend offering different themes only if they deserve a particular purpose, e.g. a theme with less graphical elements for users on small bandwidth connections or a theme with a better contrast and bigger fonts for users with impaired sight.
Bottom line: I suggest skipping the theme choice at all. I recommend specifying wether you want to see the themes ported if you want to see the theme selector in cpg1.4.10 as well.

Joachim

P.S. I'm not interessted to take the job, I'm just posting this as clarification.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:01:40 pm by GauGau »

itsa

• Coppermine novice
    • itsa
Re: Just an upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 08:42:08 pm »

you're offering users to choose a number of custom themes designed by your webhost

Thanks for the observation. Any themes that were there just sort of came along for the ride with the install. That is, it was no conscious decision by me. No desire to port them or any other specific theme. Trying to stay generic, be/c your base system is quite fine for our purposes.

the upgrade process itself would take less than 30 minutes

Easy for you to say! :)

In the end, it came down to this...I've run out of half hours in my day. And 30 min for someone as familiar as you might be several hours for me, or lord knows how much if I messed something up. Didn't want to chance it, and really didn't want to put yet one more thing on my agenda (that's why I delayed THIS long on the upgrade :) )

Mostly, this post is to say the upgrade was done yesterday, and I'd like to thank Reece for taking care of it. It was as painless as I'd hoped it would be, though he got a surprise when my young daughter was using my IM account and had a curious exchange with him ("No, I don't know anything about Coppermine and Daddy doesn't let me talk to strangers." or some such). It worked out great, he did a fine job, I'm happy to have the greater security and new features, I'm able to make do with the multi-user stuff, and we're all up to date. Everything is copacetic.

Thanks to all for their efforts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:24:25 pm by GauGau »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.