Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting up private user groups and categories  (Read 4297 times)

sir-knight

• Coppermine newbie
setting up private user groups and categories
« on: June 11, 2007, 05:40:26 pm »

I'm trying to set up this infastructure:

User 1
User 2

Category 1
album a
album b
etc

Category 2
album a
album b
etc

Where a specific user 1 (a communal password for a group of people) can log into the gallery, and only see Category 1 and it's contents, and be able to create their own albums in this category and upload images.

The same is for user 2, but only for category 2.

So far, I can only achieve this partially. I can create a user who can only access the albums in category 1, but they see the title for category 2 (but no albums appear) As well, when I create a new album, no category is assigned and these albums seem to disappear into the abyss. They don't even appear on the administrator album list to move around/delete.

The help file says I am running 1.4.8
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:48:07 pm by Nibbler »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: setting up private user groups and categories
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 05:55:57 pm »

The help file says I am running 1.4.8
Then it's mandatory to upgrade to the most recent version (currently cpg1.4.10) asap no matter what.

Permissions go by album, not by category.

It's a very nad idea to make a group of people share a single logon (user name). Has been discussed previuosly in detail. I'm reluctant to start this discussion all over - please use the forum's search to find the thread that discuses this.
Instead, use two custom groups and assign users eith to group A or group B. Set viewing permissions on album basis for those two groups as well.

and be able to create their own albums in this category and upload images.
Impossible. This is being answered nearly every day, although it is being explained in the docs and in hundreds of postings. Regular (non-admin) users can not create albums within public categories. They can only create albums inside their personal gallery if you allow them to do so.

Bottom line: what you're up to is impossible.

sir-knight

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:17:04 pm »

Then it's mandatory to upgrade to the most recent version (currently cpg1.4.10) asap no matter what.

this was already underway, thanks.

It's a very nad idea to make a group of people share a single logon (user name). Has been discussed previuosly in detail. I'm reluctant to start this discussion all over - please use the forum's search to find the thread that discuses this.

I thank you for the concern about security on my site, but the logins are being used by trusted individuals so I don't have to go and approve and direct each account into a user group. The gallery is not a public access gallery and will only be used within this circle as a means to share within itself. I'll look into the other threads though and see what's going on and see if there's another solution.

Bottom line: what you're up to is impossible.

Doh, well if my searches don't yield anything more useful, is it harmful to the sql database to run multiple copies of coppermine as long as they each have different database prefixes?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 06:33:16 pm »

is it harmful to the sql database to run multiple copies of coppermine as long as they each have different database prefixes?
It doesn't destroy anything, but of course it has a performace impact, so the word "harmful" may not apply. It won't hurt though - as you already figured out, the table prefix needs to differ, that's all. In fact, it is the only option I could see in your case.

sir-knight

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:45:12 pm »

awesome.

It looks like I broke my joomla embeded template by upgrading, I can't remember where and what lines of code I had to change in what file to get coppermine to embed into a div in my joomla template.  :-\

sir-knight

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:50:30 pm »

awesome.

It looks like I broke my joomla embeded template by upgrading, I can't remember where and what lines of code I had to change in what file to get coppermine to embed into a div in my joomla template.  :-\

I forgot to add, embedded without using the wrapper, but you may not know how to fix that. I'll have to start digging up my threads from 3 years ago if they even still exist.

sir-knight

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »

I forgot to add, embedded without using the wrapper, but you may not know how to fix that. I'll have to start digging up my threads from 3 years ago if they even still exist.

Okay, All is well, this topic is now closeable. Thanks  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.