Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you ALWAYS seem to have to scroll to view each image?  (Read 6237 times)

xandor

• Coppermine newbie

I've gotten annoyed on my own site, and now I see that even your demo gallery on this site has the same problem, namely, that whenever you view a photo, some scrolling (usually vertically, sometimes horiz.) is required for each image!  I thought that perhaps moving the film strip off to the side, vertically, would help, but I still have  to scroll every time I click on another image thumbnail, e.g. in the filmstrip (each image seems to be about 1/3 below the frame of the browser) .  I am using various laptops, with 800X1280 screen resolution, with the browser full-screen (duh).

What gives here?  I don't think the commercial photo sites display this behavior.
  ???

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Why do you ALWAYS seem to have to scroll to view each image?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:55:37 am »

Link?

xandor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:35:46 pm »

Do you need a link to your own demo gallery?
Click on any image--anything in "Nature", for example.

Kenshino

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:22 pm »

Wow what is with the hostility?

I believe he asked for a link because he doesn't get what you mean exactly so he wanted to see your site too.

If I get you correctly, you mean that the Photo Gallery doesn't automatically center the area you can see towards the image so that you can look at the image without having to scroll down?

If that is so, then the mods forum here has a very simple Javascript hack that allows that with minimal change.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:20:58 pm »

We don't have a pnCPG demo here. If this is not a pnCPG related question then say so and your thread will be moved to the appropriate place.

xandor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:50:06 pm »

Oh!  You've got me there Nibbler!

I see now that I missed that small-typeface listing of "child boards" under the 1.4xx  Board, and thought this board was one of the sub-categories (duh!) so yes indeed I AM talking about a different version from this board!  So sorry about that!
And I think I've found the issue addressed here

I still find it puzzling that your Demo (the top-level menu above on the site) still shows that behavior, though.  Is/has this been addressed in 1.5?

Didn't mean to come off as "hostile", either.

Kenshino

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:30:07 pm »

I've actually applied a similar hack.

The link is at http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=20599.0

Perhaps you'll like to compare the two and see which is the better one?

xandor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:25:35 am »

Hmm...well, thanks Kenshimo, but I looked at the sample site for that hack, and it still shows the same problem behavior for me. 
However after playing with the "anchor" approach as described in the link I earlier referred to I seem to be having some success.  I actually moved the anchor point a bit "lower", such that the next/prev. buttons (etc.) JUST show above the photo (unless the photo is small enough to allow more above).  Also, since nobody seems to have addressed the same behavior when using the filmstrip (as opposed to the buttons), I also changed the following line in the display film strip function as follows:

Code: [Select]
'{LINK_TGT}' => "displayimage.php?album=$aid$cat_link&pos={$thumb['pos']}#top_imageviewer$uid_link
...where "top_imageviewer" is the name of my anchor.  Not sure whether it shouldn't properly have followed the $uid_link parameter, but so far it seems to work.

Hopefully this is a "correct" approach... little rusty with PHP...
This can be seen here: http://vivasma.com/gallery.  Of course, the trade-off is that now you must scroll down if you want to see the filmstrip, but I consider that secondary.  Come to think of it, I guess I could change to a theme that uses the vertical strip on the side...yes.

Incidentally, PERHAPS THIS THREAD SHOULD INDEED BE MOVED TO THE CORRECT BOARD (e.g. "cpg1.4 themes/skins/templates")?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:41:08 am »

Should be
Code: [Select]
'{LINK_TGT}' => "displayimage.php?album=$aid$cat_link&pos={$thumb['pos']}$uid_link#top_imageviewer, as the anchor should come after the parameters.

xandor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:14 am »

;)
Thank you, GauGau!

bluetungsten

• Coppermine newbie
    • Bluetungsten Gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:48:55 am »

This solution is great but can't seem to get it to work when the images load for the first time:
http://bluetungsten.co.uk/gallery/index.php
see what i mean?
also cant get the filmstrip solution to work, has anyone else had probs with that, and hence got some modified code? using a hacked version of igames, not sure if i input the code into the right place
cheers

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 08:20:12 am »

I get a "404 not found" when going to the page you refered to.

bluetungsten

• Coppermine newbie
    • Bluetungsten Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »

yeah sorry i've just had a big spring clean since typing that reply, forgot to update it. now go to bluetungsten.co.uk, simple as!

bluetungsten

• Coppermine newbie
    • Bluetungsten Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 11:14:48 am »

just to modify above, it works when image load for first time if they're poartrait, but goes back to the top again if they're landscape. its fine when viewing for a second time, so presumably its something to do with loading the file. also - and apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but seems to be a similar topic - is it easy to tighten the page up a bit, i.e moving intermediate image nearer to  prev/next buttons, and filmstrip up closer?

reas0n

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 07:38:01 am »

ok so i seem to have the same problem i think....i have my gallery inside an iframe the main page is fine the only thing that bothers me is the fact that where ever the vertical scroll bar shows up the horizontal comes for no reason any help?

here is a link www.realtimenyc.com/gallerydesign.html

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 08:09:37 am »

Got no problems at your site with horizontal scrollbars. Watching it with FF.

Would you mind next time to not hijack a thread ? Please start your own new thread. Although problems may look alike they often differ from setup to setup and from hoster to hoster etc.. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.