Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine feed from local directory of images rather than needing duplications  (Read 3367 times)

asktoby

• Coppermine newbie

First, a note to say how impressed I am with Coppermine. I installed it on Sunday (the documentation is excellent!) and it's pretty much blown my socks off.

I was however expecting it to work slightly differently and this forms the basis of my request:

Running this locally (i.e. on localhost) I am in the enviable position of not needing to FTP my images up to my web host. They already share a hard disk with my apache/mysql/php/coppermine install.

With this in mind, it seems wasteful to make copies of all my images within the ~/public_html/coppermine/albums directory. It would be good if I could direct coppermine towards my photo collection and allow it access to the lot, direct from the source as it were.

Thumbnails could still be stored underneath ~/public_html/coppermine and they could be re-generated each night from a cron job or somesuch, or even created on-the-fly when someone visits a page which requires them (might be slow for high traffic, but might be usable for low traffic).

Is this a usage profile that Coppermine could support?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:42:29 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

First of all: we do not recommend self-hosting. If you know your way around and use Lunix, you could use symlinks created inside the albums folder that point to the folders where your images are actually stored.
Not a valid feature request though, will not go into the core package, as this is a matter of server setup and server admin skills. The main target audience of coppermine are users on shared webhosting, where that option doesn't apply anyway. Marking as "turned down".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.