Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: _blank  (Read 7258 times)

reece296

• Coppermine novice
_blank
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:04:24 am »

Hi,

Is it possible to open a link in the category description as the "_blank" code <A HREF="http://www.aar.org" TARGET="_blank">The Association of American Railroads.</A> doesn't work It just displays the code.

Best Regards,

Reece

reece296

• Coppermine novice
Re: _blank
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:27:37 pm »

Alittle help please

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

reece296

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:53:17 pm »

I know. But i waited 24 hours. Please could you just tell me the problem?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »

make sure you have given us enough time to react (days, not hours!)
Allow days for answer, not just hours.

If nobody replied, then maybe you asked the question in the wrong way... ::) In your case: you haven't posted enough details.

I suggest posting a link to your gallery for a start.

reece296

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 08:03:28 pm »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:06:54 pm »

Your site requires a login, so we can't actually look at it. Post a non-admin test user account as well ::)

reece296

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 08:09:29 pm »

Could i PM it to you please?

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:37:37 am »

A test login doesn't do any damage (as long as it's in a group with no privileges) so it's ok to post in public. You can always delete afterward.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:03:18 am »

reece296

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:14:02 pm »

Forget it. Excellent php script awful support.

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:28:35 pm »

Reece, don't be so judgmental. If you would have followed the rules a bit you would have gotten all the support you needed.

Understand that it is easier to provide support to a large number of people if they all provided the necessary info in the same way.
That saves a lot of time asking for info that was forgotten in the post for a support request.

Behaving like this does not do your karma any good and it is likely that people will not answer your call for request.

reece296

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 05:05:08 pm »

I would never ask for someone to post a password, i request they PM me. I would never be so rude either.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 06:44:25 pm »

It's my decision if I accept PMs. You're welcome to stay here for longer as a supporter - I guarantee that you will get weary of being sent PMs. But after all, it doesn't matter what you would do if you were in my shoes.
I suggest reviewing your attitude: I just posted the word "No". as in "no, you mustn't PM me". If supporting you involves super-secret passwords being sent around by PM, then I'm simply not the proper person to look into your issues - that's it. That's why I posted "no" (although Thu even explained to you why sending test user accounts privately is silly).
As Thu suggested, the test user account would have been a) non-admin and b) temporary. What's so super secret about your site? As far as I can see, it deals with railroads - it's not an exclusive adult site. I strongly doubt that people would leech your images just because you posted a test user account that would have been enabled for a short period.
You started your thread really in a bad manner, not giving enough details. Then you bump your thread after a very short time. I then asked for a link to your page. It is self-explanatory that a link doesn't help us at all if you require login on a bridged install, so this is the third time you made supporters beg to let them support you by just posting a link without the needed account.

Anyway, I'm sick of people like you: I don't have to justify my actions here on this thread. It is my choice if/when/how I give support here. You are not in the position to critisize any supporter for his method of support. Accusing me to be rude just because I said "no" is ridiculous.

Joachim

LGLDSR

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 06:22:14 am »

Joachim,

"Anyway, I am sick of people like you....".

That is wholly uncalled for. I see nowhere within this Thread where Reece has made any such comment, explicit or otherwise, which would call for you to address him or any Human Being in such a manner. Such a response begs the question as to how many individuals constitute the word "people"? One? One hundred? One thousand? Ten thousand? More? If you can't stand the heat, Joachim, then get out of the Kitchen. (It's an expression, so if you're in your Kitchen you need not leave it. Sit back down.). I am patently outraged in the manner which you addressed him.

Who do you think you are? Who died and left you in charge such that you can speak to anyone in that manner? If you were told that someone died and leave you in charge to demean people at Will, you're sadly mistaken and have been the brunt of a bad joke.

And 'Karma'? Sigh...this is not the 1960's. Give it a rest.

In my opinion you have disgraced not only all that the FSF and GNU constitute, but the very spirit and intent of same which they have diligently worked at promoting for years.

I have been in this Industry since 1982 and during my tenure at some very large US Fortune-500 Corporations I have provided support for everyone from the new Rank-And-File employee to the CEO and CFO. I have also provided support for Software Engineers that have Doctorates from some of the finest Institutions of Learning this World has to offer.  I can never recall speaking to them in that manner when they needed assistance, nor they speaking to me in that manner.

Having been in this Industry for as many years as I have, the fact that you are a Forum Administrator and that it is your "...choice if/when/how I give support..." really does not impress me. ::)  Nor should my credentials impress you. Just food for thought; it's all relative. However, drawing upon these years within IT I will tell you that one does not arbitrarily disseminate passwords. Basic security, though maybe I am wrong. Certainly you - A Coppermine Forum Administrator - would know far better than I, even with the 25 years I have within this Field.

By the very nature of being an Administrator you would be expected to provide assistance and not belittle people. On a side note, consider the following:

Did your reply help promote Coppermine, or diminish all that sets it apart? Clearly the latter.

I will be making a trip into Boston tomorrow, and at that time will drop by the FSF on Franklin Street. At that time I am going to leave them with a copy of this Thread and I am indeed very curious as to what their take will be on your statement "Anyway, I am sick of people like you...." considering that your product is using GNU.

Ideally, they will respond to this Thread. At which point I would find it interesting to see how you respond and what your demeanor will be. Very curious.

To that end, give careful thought as to how you reply - to this reply or that of anyone else. Vis-a-vis, over fiber optics one does not know who one is replying to. They may be a very large financial supporter of GNU and be inclined to withdraw that financial support based solely on your despicable attitude. I would imagine that the net effect would be such that you might find yourself not overly welcome anymore.  Or they may be inclined to contact each and every Principal of those who advertise on SourceForge and inquire if your attitude is typical of support when using software developed under GNU. E.g., "The software may be free, but do I pay a higher price by having someone tell me "Anyway, I am sick of people like you...." when I need support?".

I see that ITA advertises on SourceForge's Site. I further see that they are in Cambridge, MA., which is but literally a few miles from Boston. As large an industry as this is, it is quite small actually. I also see that Novell and Microsoft advertise at SourceForge. What if they and other advertisers were to give serious consideration to my hypothetical question of "The software may be free, but do I pay a higher price by having someone tell me "Anyway, I am sick of people like you...." when I need support?". Might they pull their advertising, resulting in lost revenue? Not sure.

I will not be using Coppermine out of concern that if your attitude is the prevailing one, than Coppermine's days are indeed very short. Regardless of how good a product may be, if there is not decent support at all levels by all concerned, than it is wholly worthless and one is better off to avoid it at all costs.

In my opinion you unequivocally owe Reece an apology.

Consider all that I have said.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:05:11 am »

Go ahead and report this thread to whoever you see fit. I can't see anything wrong with it. I am not impressed by your threat to alarm the FSF, SF.net or whoever pays the bills for them, as I'm not aware of having done anything wrong. I will gladly repeat this to you: I'm fed up with people who do not respect board rules repeatedly, which is what reece296 did. That's entirely my choice. I'm a human being, I can ask for a little respect by people who ask for support. I'm not asking for personal favors - just respecting rules. I would tell reece296 the same thing if we were to meet in person. I'm not someone's slave, nor do I have to swallow misbehaviour.

Side-note to others reading this thread: LGLDSR appears to be involved with the site that reece296 has requested support for (at least that's what his/her profile says), so his reply is at least biased ::).

You had your say. Now flame off. It's my choice wether I'm going to provide support for reece296 or not. I decided (for me only, not for other supporters) not to support him/her any longer. However, everybody else is of course free to come up with support for reece296, so let's stop this discussion here and now. I would like to see this thread return to the original topic.

Joachim Müller (aka GauGau)

LGLDSR

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 12:16:02 pm »

Yes, it is my Forum. I thought that was implicit. My reply is not biased.

>I would like to see this thread return to the original topic.

So to that end, would someone please answer Reece's original question: how to insert a '_blank' so the page opens in a new window? Currently it will open in the same window and therefore effectively redirect the User from the Home Site when they leave the Site to go to the Gallery.

Thanks!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 01:21:02 pm »

Links are being generated in various ways in Coppermine:
  • Links in menus
  • Links in the theme's template.html file
  • bbcode-driven links
The method to change their target attribute depends on what kind of link you want to see changed. As both you as well as reece failed to explain where the links you're refering to actually are being generated, I asked for a link to the gallery (and a non-admin test user account, as your site requires loging in) - when people fail to explain their issue in detail (maybe because they have no idea how to describe it in words) it usually helps if the supporter looks at it. If I would have been granted a temporary non-admin test user account, I would have searched your site for the sample link to aar.org, hoping to be able to spot it and subsequently being able to post advice. I'm not asking for a link just for the sake of it. There is a reason why I do that.

If nobody replied, then maybe you asked the question in the wrong way... ::) In your case: you haven't posted enough details.
As suggested above: you haven't provided enough details. If you can't provide a working link together with a test user account, why don't you at least provide a screen shot (attach it to your posting using "additional options" when composing your message) or some other details (like: when I click on "foo" in coppermine's menu, I'd like it to be opened in a new windos. Just repeating the same question that has already been posted doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Side note: the target attribute is being considered as deprecated and should no longer be used. Additionally, there are many users who don't like to be bossed around by the site designer - if I want a link to open in a new window, I know how to accomplish this. I don't think that there are many site visitors who don't know their way around well enough to be capable to open a link in a new window if they want. This being said, I suggest reviewing the overall idea to add the target="_blank" attribute to links in the first place.
For a detailed discussion, see http://www.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world

Joachim

LGLDSR

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 01:57:21 pm »

Thank you! I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge your reply and will get back later as I do have questions, but am again late for an appointment. Need 25 hours in a day...

Lyman

LGLDSR

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 04:44:06 pm »

Links are being generated in various ways in Coppermine:
  • Links in menus
  • Links in the theme's template.html file
  • bbcode-driven links
The method to change their target attribute depends on what kind of link you want to see changed. As both you as well as reece failed to explain where the links you're refering to actually are being generated, I asked for a link to the gallery (and a non-admin test user account, as your site requires loging in) - when people fail to explain their issue in detail (maybe because they have no idea how to describe it in words) it usually helps if the supporter looks at it. If I would have been granted a temporary non-admin test user account, I would have searched your site for the sample link to aar.org, hoping to be able to spot it and subsequently being able to post advice. I'm not asking for a link just for the sake of it. There is a reason why I do that.
As suggested above: you haven't provided enough details. If you can't provide a working link together with a test user account, why don't you at least provide a screen shot (attach it to your posting using "additional options" when composing your message) or some other details (like: when I click on "foo" in coppermine's menu, I'd like it to be opened in a new windos. Just repeating the same question that has already been posted doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Side note: the target attribute is being considered as deprecated and should no longer be used. Additionally, there are many users who don't like to be bossed around by the site designer - if I want a link to open in a new window, I know how to accomplish this. I don't think that there are many site visitors who don't know their way around well enough to be capable to open a link in a new window if they want. This being said, I suggest reviewing the overall idea to add the target="_blank" attribute to links in the first place.
For a detailed discussion, see http://www.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world

Joachim
Joachim,

I am still involved with projects that are up to my neck and have not been able to address the great points you make. Thank you again for your assistance; I will be back. Hopefully before this Century is out. Just not enough hours in the day.

Best,

Lyman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.