Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why does coppermine use tables?  (Read 3909 times)

nickfzx

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
why does coppermine use tables?
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:06:13 am »

I am not an expert at web design but I have read enough to know that tables are not considered that much of a good thing and DIV tags are preferred...because they load quicker and can be formatted easily using css are the two main reasons I think.

With this in mind I was just wandering why Coppermine formats its elements using mostly tables and not DIVs?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:12:04 am by nickfzx »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: why does coppermine use tables?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:03:45 am »

The reasons why table-based layout is being considered as deprecated are different ones (not speed and easy formatting, but rather separation between content and functionality, accessibility). However, the question "why" doesn't apply. The table-based layout exists for historical reasons. Rebuilding Coppermine to drop tables and only use div containers would mean recoding Coppermine. This has been discussed in detail. If you want to join this discussion, read up what has been discussed before - we're not going to repeat this discussion here just because you're kind of late to join it.
If the coppermine devs could just snap their fingers and make coppermine table-free, we would do so. But (sadly), this would require an awful lot of work, which none of the devs is ready to spend time on. You're welcome to come up with a table-free hack - have fun!

nickfzx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:13:29 pm »

hey thanks for the info...I did search before posting and diddn't find the thread you are referring to, I'll look again.

edit:

should have searched for "tableless"

also GauGau, as I think you wrongly corrected my grammar:
However, the question "why" doesn't apply. The table-based layout exists for historical reasons.

the question "why" fits fine..."the answer to why coppermine still uses tables is for historical reasons"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:55:46 pm by nickfzx »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:15:09 pm »

I didn't try to correct your grammar. I said that "why is a software designed in the way it is" simply doesn't apply. "Why" -> "Because": there's no special reason for coppermine using tables except the fact that the original version has been coded using tables.

Some references to related discussions:
There have been efforts to create a tableless version - all who reported to have accomplished this actually failed or didn't post their modifications. We're aware that the use of tables for presentation is deprecated, but there's currently no workaround.

Creating Tableless theme

nickfzx

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 07:29:02 pm »

I didn't try to correct your grammar. I said that "why is a software designed in the way it is" simply doesn't apply. "Why" -> "Because": there's no special reason for coppermine using tables except the fact that the original version has been coded using tables.

The answer to my "why" is: "because" it is historically done using tables and would be a big hastle to change it.

It is a simple "why" and "because" imho.

But never mind, there is no point in squabbling over grammar.

Quote from: GauGau on March 24, 2006, 06:50:36 AM
There have been efforts to create a tableless version - all who reported to have accomplished this actually failed or didn't post their modifications. We're aware that the use of tables for presentation is deprecated, but there's currently no workaround.

well, I found this:
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=15979.msg74536#msg74536
http://www.badgerphotos.com/
which is a theme not a mod but seems look alright...I have tried it on my test install and it seems to work pretty good.

I note your warning in the thread that it is not a compliant theme.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.