Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mis-spelled word  (Read 5836 times)

gbaird

• Coppermine newbie
mis-spelled word
« on: March 06, 2004, 08:39:19 pm »

Hello I have found a mis-spelled word on the my favorites page
it reads Favourite Pictures needs to be changed in the

/lang folder

english.php line 68 you will find it

hope this saves some time

Greg

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
mis-spelled word
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 10:38:13 pm »

LOL!  :lol:

That's Brit english, not a misspelling, like "colour" and "theatre".

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
mis-spelled word
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 12:05:01 am »

Useless vowels must die.  :lol:  

For non-English speakers:
This is a case of American practicality vs. British sentimentality.
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
mis-spelled word
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 12:29:38 am »

[ot]
since English is the language where the written code differs most from the pronounciation (at least from the languages I know), I wouldn't say that (check the spelling of the vowel in "leave", "live",  "beef", "grieve", "weiner"). Although I've been taught American English and I'd rather write "favorites" as well I'm not sure it's a good idea to have spellings like "tonite" etc. - there's a thin line between making things easier and illiteracy/analphabetism.
I (as a foreigner) have got some problems with english grammar and spelling, but I've never come across so many misunderstandings and spelling errors as with americans ("were/where/we're" etc.), who claim English was easy. Trust me: it isn't... :wink:
[/ot]

GauGau

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
mis-spelled word
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 01:05:45 am »

I know this is not cpg related, but we have to have a laugh  :lol: ( or as hyperion would prefer, lahf  :P ) sometimes.

So why not change metre to metr, rather than meter, which already has a meaning, or why use programme when we use program.

They say we use redundant (silent) consonants, but say 'erb' when they mean (and spell)'herb' which we say with the 'h', as in 'herbie rides again'.

There is a good argument for spelling the way it's said, but then there would be a lot more confusion in written words.

Surely the whole point of a language is to make one word mean something unique. There are many words in English that sound the same or similar, but when written it is clear which is which, and when used in speech the context makes it obvious what is meant.

But when all said and done, viva la differance.  If we were all the same, it would (not wood) be a boring old world.8).

Just don't criticise us for using OUR language correctly :wink:

ps, please take this post in the light (not lite) hearted (not harted) way it was intended.

EDIT;  jeez, I never realised I took that long, I missed Gaugau's post.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:59:40 pm by Casper »
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
mis-spelled word
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 03:08:34 am »

:lol:

Indeed, 'useless' vowels can be very important in written communication.  

Webster eliminated the u from color and other words as part of his modernization program when he created his first dictionary. Before the late eighteenth century, there was no standardized spelling in English. Nothing is more fun than reading 17th century American diaries.

@Casper:

Before you start claiming English as 'your' language, you should at least thank the French, Romans, Germans, and Vikings for giving it to you.  :D
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.