Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing files on different servers  (Read 11449 times)

PBas

• Coppermine newbie
Storing files on different servers
« on: March 05, 2004, 12:42:08 am »

Is it possible that coppermine uses a diferent server to store the pictures?
I don't how PHP... if there is somebody that can help me... i would aprecciate. :)

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 12:49:43 am »

No it's not. Why would you want to do that?

PBas

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 12:59:00 am »

well... i have online server but only has 128kb bandwidth  :?
my ISP offers me webspace with much faster access but without php / mysql... etc.. etc.

it worth a shot :) thanks anyway

CopperAngel

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 11:44:31 pm »

Hmmm ... It's an interesting concept for sure. Not sure how it would work, but I /do/ see an advantage/use for it.

For example, I currently have one album that is set up for family pictures. A lot of these are scanned pics and I usually scan at VERY high resolutions. If somehow Coppermine were able to keep the thumbnail and medium sized pics on the main server but have an external link to an off-site server where the high-res version was available it might be a good way for you to keep under your hard disk space quota.

You could host your albums on your ISP's website (those usually give around 50 megs or so) and  link directly to your home box via a dynamic IP service....

but like i said ... no clue how you would get that to work ... got a few ideas, but it'd be too difficult to work. A feature for Coppermine version 6.0 perhaps?  :wink:

nexxuse

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 12:11:31 am »

Thoughts:

Upload script uploads to server why not post the data to the upload script on server b and tell coppermine to use servername.com/directory/ as image directory instead of /albums/ /userphotos/ etc ?

Japp

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 01:13:22 pm »

You can use the FTP support in php to make it possible, i don't think it would be to much trouble to get it to work.

emrcia

• Coppermine newbie
change the albums domain
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 06:35:07 pm »

I have bandwith problem and wants to relocate the albums and userpics folder in another domain, in a different server...
I look at the configuration and it has a note saying that it cannot be changed when the gallery has photos in it...
Is there a solution?
thank you

[edit GauGau]
moved your posting to one of the threads that deal with this question. This has been answered often already; next time please search before posting, and read the faq.
[/edit]

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 08:20:25 pm »

since coppermine builds intermediates and thumbs in the same directory where the original pics are stored, it needs write access to the directory. Unless you run both servers (they're yours to administer), you can't have write access on a remote server. That's why your idea is just wishfull thinking.
Of course this could be accomplished (with the original pics on one server and the intermediates and thumbs on another (where coppermine is installed), but this would require enourmous changes in coppermine's core code. Unless you're a php wizard and you know an awfull lot about webserver technology: forget it.

GauGau

emrcia

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 10:40:55 pm »

Yes, I administer both webspaces and I have write permissions. Maybe it is better for me to move the whole srcipt to that other domain... but I will loose the search engine position obtained... Is there any other solution...

BTW I searched... but used wrong keywords, sorry... :oops:

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 10:51:04 pm »

in your case: move coppermine to the other server and set up a redirector (can be easily done with htaccess) on the old server to transform the requested urls to be redirected to the new server; remember to add a redirector for the search engine spider as well in robots.txt.
Another option: let the dns pointers fetch the old (existing) urls from the new server (cleanest method, without loosing anything).

GauGau

emrcia

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 10:59:33 am »

I don't understand the second method at all... :( could you explain it a little?
The database should be located in the new domain?
I have the gallery integrated with phpBB... Do I have to change something to have them still integrated?

Thank you for you great help.
 :D

emrcia

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 11:53:56 am »

what about a .htaccess located with this?:
Code: [Select]
Redirect permanent /userpics http://www.otherdomain.org/userpics?

[added]
I have just asked to my hosting and they suggest a .htaccess with:
Code: [Select]
RedirectMatch "^/galeria/albums/userpics/?$" http://www.otherdomain.org/userpics
What is your opinion?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 07:08:53 pm »

yes, if you have no way to change the dns pointers (or you simply don't know what the second option means), go for the option you came up with.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.