Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 domains and installs sharing a single album?  (Read 2669 times)

ss3vegeta

• Coppermine novice
2 domains and installs sharing a single album?
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:51:20 pm »

Ok after asking a question in another thread and being told I need to upgrade I’d like to ask some other questions to try and streamline my current configuration, since I’m basically re-installing anyway.

I currently have 2 coppermine galleries.  There is no other integration; I don’t have any forum or anything like that installed on either gallery.  The galleries are on completely different domains, lets say x.com and y.com. They have completely independent mysql, everything.  However about 70% of the pictures overlap, what I mean is that they have about 70% of the same pictures.  Currently they pictures are uploaded to both directories.  What I’d like to know is if I can install 2 galleries on different domains with separate mysql and still share the albums directory.  If I could modify the code so I could have a main directory /main and then have /main/x.com and /main/y.com.  Could I then modify the code to have the album directory simply be /main/albums.  99% of the pictures on my sites are uploaded through ftp for batch addition. 

This would save me a lot of space this much I know.  However I’m also hoping to save some processing time when I batch add, hopefully the thumbnails would be able to be shared, as well as the mid sized photos.   

I do have one other question, can I run a script in the Category description or album description fields?  My sites are 100% family photo albums, as such many of the categories are dedicated to pictures of a single person.  I’d like to run an active age script in the description field so that it gives those persons current age.  If it’s possible I’ll make it in javascript or php. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: 2 domains and installs sharing a single album?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:33:47 am »

We have a strict "one question per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up.

ss3vegeta

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 02:54:01 pm »

I’m sorry I didn’t realize a person was only allowed to ask one question per thread.  It’s been over a year since I signed up, so if that was the policy I agreed to upon signing up I truly don’t remember.  I was simply following the netiquette of every other community I am a member of.  I frequent at least 20 forums on a regular basis; all of them would ban or warn a person for starting a new thread every time they had a question.  They would consider it spamming or post whoring.  Again I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, but I would hope you can appreciate how incredibly different this type of policy is, and therefore show a little latitude.   If I had the ability to edit I would gladly remove the second question.  Unfortunately I lack that ability so all I can do is hope that you and anyone else who may be able to answer the first question show a bit of understanding, look past this unintentional violation of site rules and try to help.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:38:23 pm »

What I’d like to know is if I can install 2 galleries on different domains with separate mysql and still share the albums directory.
No, not possible. Coppermine doesn't support remote storage. Saving webspace would be possible if those two domains would be hosted on the same server, using a symlink within one albums folder pointing to the other. Not sure though what the benefit of two pw-protected, totally private sites is that have nearly identical content. Obviously not for search engine rank improvement or similar. Anyway, that's not what you asked, sorry.

can I run a script in the Category description or album description fields?   My sites are 100% family photo albums, as such many of the categories are dedicated to pictures of a single person.  I’d like to run an active age script in the description field so that it gives those persons current age.  If it’s possible I’ll make it in javascript or php. 
Not sure what you mean by that. You're allowed to come up with all sorts of modifications - it's your page after all. Bottom line: possible if you code it. I suggest using one of the custom fields to store the birthday, so you don't have to mess with additional database fields. If you want to do yourself a favor, use the format YYYY-MM-DD to store the birthday - this will make things easier. All you have to do then is come up with the math you need and add it into the code (themes/yourtheme/theme.php - the actual section depends on where you want the age to show on the page).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.