Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)  (Read 4905 times)

GinomeGelati

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.sedolin.de
Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
« on: March 03, 2004, 12:11:51 pm »

Hello =)
I'm from Germany and my English is _very_ bad. Sry for this o.o"

On my website many visitors are blind. They are not able to see something.
I am working for making my website accessible for all people with handycaps.

Would you please code a version of this gallery witch is accessible for all?

Standards: Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)

at present the picture-describtion (Custom fields) is sufficient, but there are many things to change. Specially CSS instead of Tables.

My visitors will thank you =) and I too ^^

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 03:35:40 pm »

I agree that the non-standards-compliant layout of coppermine has to change in future versions (away from table nesting to css), but at the moment the code and layout are very much mixed up - there's little chance to separate it without starting to code coppermine from scratch (in fact, there have been efforts made to create table-less themes, but so far only 1 user has succeeded). We (the coppermine dev team) are aware of the inaccessability of coppermine for handicaped people.
We'll consider such things in future versions of coppermine (probably cpg2.x).
As a sidenote: don't get me wrong, but I think that there are apps like bbs where I think it's more important to have the abbility for handicaped people to be able to browse them - as coppermine is a photo gallery software, there's little point in enabling it for blind people explicitely.

GauGau

GinomeGelati

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://www.sedolin.de
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 05:07:38 pm »

Quote from: "gaugau"
I agree that the non-standards-compliant layout of coppermine has to change in future versions (away from table nesting to css), but at the moment the code and layout are very much mixed up - there's little chance to separate it without starting to code coppermine from scratch

Is it possible to create a templateset, which is not based on tables?

We'll consider such things in future versions of coppermine (probably cpg2.x).

This is great and I thank you very much =)

As a sidenote: don't get me wrong, but I think that there are apps like bbs where I think it's more important to have the abbility for handicaped people to be able to browse them - as coppermine is a photo gallery software, there's little point in enabling it for blind people explicitely.

np. It is logical, that blind people do not look often in the gallery. As I said at present the picture-describtion (Custom fields) is sufficient.
I only wanted to give a suggestion for future versions.

I will try to edit the templates by myself. Specially by editing tabs for direkt jumping to the describtion for blind people. I don't know whether I'll be successfull but I hope so.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 05:53:11 am »

Quote from: "GinomeGelati"
Is it possible to create a templateset, which is not based on tables?
Theoretically: yes - rbl has managed to do so - see http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=875 , but he can't share it, as he has extensively modified the coppermine core code. Like I said: there is table stuff all over the place in coppermine itself - it hasn't been built to avoid tables, tables are the "centerpost" of the current coppermine core code. All you can do is have less tables by editing the /themes/yourtheme/template.html file and skip all tables there, but it will only result in a cleaner output, not clean output.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.