Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort Order by Filename changed in upgrade due to underscores  (Read 2038 times)

mrwick

• Coppermine newbie
Sort Order by Filename changed in upgrade due to underscores
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:49:20 pm »

When I upgraded CPG from 1.3.3 to 1.4.10, the disallowed characters for filename uploads was inadvertently changed to include spaces.  This resulted in CPG substituting underscores for spaces in new filenames, which resulted in filenames not sorting correctly in an albumn compared to previous pictures.  Since we have a history site, the year is included in the filename so that CCBCO_1942 should come before CCBCO 1943, but with the new underscores, those files sorted to the end of the albumn.

I fixed the new files (100's) and changed the disallowed to not include spaces so the substitution is no longer done, just like the old system.  I tested to make sure that the Linux SUSE host had no problem with the filenames, and it appears OK for now.  My question is, does anyone know of a reason not to allow spaces in a filename under Linux?  Does anyone know why the default would include disallowed spaces?  I assume that there is some reason, perhaps safe mode or something else that would find the spaces undesirable, but I cant imagine what that would be right now.  Any feedback is appreciated.

www.nflcc.org/CPG

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Sort Order by Filename changed in upgrade due to underscores
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:33:15 am »

My question is, does anyone know of a reason not to allow spaces in a filename under Linux?  Does anyone know why the default would include disallowed spaces?
Because you mustn't use spaces on a webserver, due to how the www works. Spaces are forbidden chars in a file name on a web server that get replaced in an URL, that's why.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.