Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Category, allow multiple album creation  (Read 5462 times)

Regor

• Coppermine newbie
1 Category, allow multiple album creation
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:07:23 am »

Thx in advance. Used CMG for years, but new question.
This seems very do-able, it's just not clicking for me!  :)

Wanna force a group of people to log in as 1 user, 1 password.
Would like to have them only see 1 Category that I make  - "Rides"
Would like them to be able to create albums under the category "Rides", which will most likely be dates and descriptions (New years Day ride 2007), and upload files to the album that they created.
The other group members will be able to log in and see each others albums.

Is this possible without me (admin) having to go in and do work after they upload files?

THX
Regor

Regor

• Coppermine newbie
Re: 1 Category, allow multiple album creation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:14:58 am »

If I could delete this post I would, as I ended up finding some old posts, all asking the same question basically, but the common response from admin is:
Has been asked and requested often. Yet it isn't possible.

Looks like a relatively easy mod, with a lot of interest, surprised it isn't in the running for upgrade.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:57:16 am »

Several users sharing one logon is a baaaaad thing to do or even consider. Describe what you actually want to see done. Regular (non-admin) users can't create albums in public categories.

Regor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:51:04 pm »

We have a relatively small club. The thought is one username/pwd. Members will post pics of their travels, and all can view them.

What I did was install a new instance of cpg under the domain we are using, and did not create any categories or  albums.

When the user logs in, they make their album, which goes right into "User  Galleries" / "user xxx".
We are looking at maybe 1 new album per weekend.

Yes- currently anyone can delete anyones pics. I guess I should attempt to allow uploading of pics, but once uploaded, no delete priveledges. The only problem with this is -- I have not figured out how to let the admin manipulate the "User" files.

Thx

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:44:39 am »

The thought is one username/pwd.
Several users sharing one logon is a baaaaad thing to do or even consider.
Really, I mean it - that's a bad idea. Why don't you create user accounts for your club members and provide them with unique logons?

The only problem with this is -- I have not figured out how to let the admin manipulate the "User" files
Not sure what you mean.

cougar6

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:45:53 am »

I am trying to do the same thing but cannot determine how best to proceed.  Here is the issue:
I have a personal website that I use for family members.  I run Joomla! with JACLPlus, Community Builder, and Coppermine.
I do not want each family member to share user ID / password.
I do want a single category for each family, with sub-categories and their corresponding albums and I don't want to have to create them all.  For instance, I currently have the following categories for my family:
Richard and Shelley - main category
Kids names - sub categories
Albums for their birth, first day of school, Senior Prom, etc.
I intend for each of my brothers and sisters to have their own family category and allow them to create sub-categories / albums as they see fit (similar to mine).  I think this approach provides a better home page and makes the page more appealing to me.  However, no family member can create / manage categories (they do not have admin privileges).
My question is, can I do this with categories?  If not, can I create the same thing using another approach?  Could I do this if Coppermine wasn't tied to Joomla!?  Thanks for the help.
Richard

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 07:52:18 am »

I repeat: non-admin users can not create sub-categories nor albums within public galleries in Coppermine. No hack, no mod, no workaround. You simply can't do what you're up to.

You (cougar6) have an issue that differs from the issue of the original thread starter. You shouldn't have replied to this thread, but started one of your own.

cougar6

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:20:52 am »

Sorry.  I assumed that if you changed "Rides" to "Family" and 1 user name / password to "family account" with multiple albums under that single category the issues were similar.  I will start a new thread as you suggest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.