Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nibbler seems to have solved the Google Images search problem  (Read 3622 times)

marian

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • BYM Photo Gallery
Nibbler seems to have solved the Google Images search problem
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:15:04 pm »

I posted this in another thread, but it had been marked "Solved", which it wasn't really, so I'm not sure whether that post will get read??  This is a very important issue, so I'm reposting here:
I think you hold the key to the google images problem nibbler, even though you don't realise it!
If you put ic and the title of any of your gallery images into a google image search you get the result from your website.
If you put adityamooley Ashwini into a google image search you get "Your search - adityamooley Ashwini - did not match any documents.", even though Aditya has lots of images - with Ashwini in the title - in his gallery.
If you put adityamooley Ashwini into standard google, his website comes up in first place; that is exactly the sort of thing that happens with bymnews!  Put Cougar ace album into ordinary google and there is the BYM Gallery link right at the top; click on Google images and there is zilch!
It's pretty clear, to me, that you have done something right for your gallery, whilst aditya and bym haven't; please try to figure out what that is. I'm sure I am not the only one who loves coppermine, but is frustrated by the Google images issue. A gallery with 25000+ pix, like BYM, should get hundreds of GI referrals a day, we are doing well if we get 10!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Nibbler seems to have solved the Google Images search problem
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:28:37 am »

The thread you refer to is http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=40067.0 (started by someone else, dealing with another issue), so you shouldn't have posted there in the first place. Please refer to my reply on that other thread.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:50 am »

I used to have my images indexed in Google Images, but I didn't want that. So I put in robots.txt instruction to block out the images bots (for google and yahoo). Someone like me who managed to get images indexed without even wanting to shows that one doesn't have to go out of one's way to get images indexed.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:54:37 am »

The thread you refer to is http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=40067.0 (started by someone else, dealing with another issue), so you shouldn't have posted there in the first place. Please refer to my reply on that other thread.
Thank you, Gau Gau. I have read your post on the other thread and will be getting Abbas to upgrade and carry out those mods. I hope I am doing the right thing in replying to you here.
I am more than willing to assist in anyway I can to improve Coppermine's Google friendliness. I know nothing about code, but I am good at some things that may provide clues and I am more than willing to test code mods on our Gallery and report any improvements in recognition. So far today, we have only had 8 Google Images referrals (about average), so improvements will be noticeable!!
Nibbler's input would be very helpful, since his site is far more Google successful than Aditya's, yet he is clearly not using 1.5 as he has pos urls.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:52:41 pm »

You're welcome to check out the subversion repository devel branch (svn co https://coppermine.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/coppermine/trunk/devel/ coppermine), see for http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=89658 instructions how to use TortoiseSVN or similar.
This way, you can get the cpg1.5.x files. You're welcome to test it as thoroughly as you can, but it's not recommended to be used on production sites and there is absolutely no support for it.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 05:10:32 pm »

Thanks GauGau, I'll talk to Abbas about the best way forward.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:18:01 pm »

Did he grant you the privilege to contact him directly by PM or email? If he hasn't explicitely allowed you to do so, then don't.

marian

• BYM Photo Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:19:48 pm »

Did he grant you the privilege to contact him directly by PM or email? If he hasn't explicitely allowed you to do so, then don't.
Abbas and Aditya are doing various jobs for us, we have been corresponding for months.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:22:34 pm »

OK, I see. You're of course welcome then to do as you suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.