Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Date field  (Read 2761 times)

justal

• Coppermine novice
Custom Date field
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:29:46 pm »

I'd like to use Coppermine as a way of archiving my family records, this will include photos as well as scanned documents such as birth certificates, mariage certificates etc... Because if this I will need to include date information for each item I upload. Is there a way of making one of the custom fields into one that will except a date, or is there a hack somewhere that will add an extra field that allows me to give each item a particular date stamp.

I will need to be able to search based on this date as well.

Thanks.
Al.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 06:16:17 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: Custom Date field
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:44:22 pm »

You can just type a date in and then search by it. That would let you search by date, year, or month but not by a range of dates.

justal

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:38:58 pm »

OK, I should have said I would like to sort things on the date as well, so a simple textual date entry won't be sufficient unfortunately.

Al.

superjacent

• Coppermine newbie
    • Steve's Running Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 01:47:59 am »

Here's my solution to this problem.

Incoporate the date in the filename of the image eg "yyyymmdd-nnn.jpg".

n = just a sequencing number.

Now, when searching, search only on filename field.   The result list is returned in filename ascending order.

To view all your year 2006 images simply enter "2006", if August 2006 is required enter "200608".

If you don't know the day of month, or the month of the year etc. I'm sure you could think of a consistent method, I'm yet to, I keep swapping and changing.

I suppose you could use the above convention and incorporate that into the title or description and the same effect would or could be achieved.   I've gone with the filename method as I can use an automatic renamer on my local machine before uploading to the server.

I realize though that if you have 1000's of images stored and not using any particular naming convention the above info is useless.

I would prefer a purpose built field for "Date of Image".   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.