Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Right Click" Deny..  (Read 8465 times)

midwest

• Coppermine newbie
"Right Click" Deny..
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:40:46 pm »

Hi Folks.
  Could you please instruct me on how to go about denying right clicks on images in the gallery. I have a Right Click Blocking Script for the rest of my sites images, but not sure it will work with CM.   ???

If there is already a post on this, please redirect me.

Thanks Guy's

midwest    8)

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
Re: "Right Click" Deny..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:28:22 pm »

This has been requested many times and we feel that it's a waste of time. If you disable the right click function, many users will just leave as right clicking has many other functions as well. The best way to protect your images is to either not put them on the web or watermark them. However, if you feel that you must have this feature, search "disable right click".
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

midwest

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:35:53 pm »

Gizmo,
    Thanks for the reply. Will do the search. In my case it is nessacary, because a run a site for kids and we post thier pics. Really is no need in my gallery for right click functions. I know I could make it a MEMBERS ONLY Gallery, but we also want it publicly viewable, just don't want the pics to be downloaded by some weirdo for an adult site.

midwest  8)

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:23:40 am »

Defeating the right click won't keep the weirdos away and in most cases it won't even slow them down. You can get the images by doing a screenshot and using any photo app to cut out the photo. You can look at the source code then copy and paste the image address... need I go on. I'm not putting you down but only warning you of the many other simple ways to get at your photos. Watermarking is the second best way to protect images and not putting them on the web the best way.
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:08 am »

Really is no need in my gallery for right click functions.
There is a lot more functionality in the right-click menu than image-taking. People can use it to navigate, or open the page in a different browser. Just because you don't see the need doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Besides, it's easy to defeat right-click disabling by turning off javascript.

midwest

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:51:59 pm »

Thank all of you for your replies and your help.
  First, yea, I know that there are other functions besides what we are talking about here. But this is more or less my site. I authorize what can and can not be done. Most folks viewing this site are just happy to be able to see the pictures of the kids. But security for those kids is paramount. That is all I am concerned about.  I am absolutey unconcerned about whether viewers can "right click" , or have use of the functions therein.
  One of the reason's I chose this gallery, is because of some of its security features. It didn't have everything I was looking for, but I loved it's simple interphase and clean looks. You have done an awesome job. I commend you. This is better than some of the programs I have seen that you have to pay for. I am very happy with it. I would just like to see a bit more in the area of security included in the config area.
   If there are other scripts I can use to help achieve my goal here, please detail them or point me in the correct direction on this BB.
Worse come to worse, I can always password my albums for members only, or if I have to, look into another gallery program. But I would love to try the scripts first.
   I did a search on this topic, but I used different keywords and nothing came up. I will do the search Gizmo recommended.

Thank you all again for your excellent support !!

midwest 8)

Abbas Ali

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • Spread the PHP Web
    • Ranium Systems
Chief Geek at Ranium Systems

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:39:28 pm »

Check out this transparent gif overlay hack, it should provide additional security - http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=33782.0.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 10:29:14 am »

You have done an awesome job. I commend you. This is better than some of the programs I have seen that you have to pay for. I am very happy with it.
Thanks ;D

Don't confuse security with user restrictions. Disabling the right click is not a matter of making your gallery more secure. I can understand perfectly well that you're trying to protect kids on your gallery. In fact, I had similar issues on my personal gallery: the average number of hits used to be 70 views per pic for regular albums (mostly party pics). Checking the view count and my server logs I discovered that pics with kids on them (perfectly innocent pics, with adults and kids depicted during regular barbecue sessions and similar events; kids aged from 5 to 12, most of them little girls) had an enormous increase of views (several hundreds of views per pic). Apparantly, some perverted weirdos had posted deep links on child abuse forums that pointed to the kid pics on my gallery. As I was not ready to allow those perverts to take advantage of this and especially to protect the kids I changed album permissions to allow those pics only to be viewed by members of a custom user group that contains people I know in real life only. I kept on applying those restrictive permissions for all albums that contain kid pics no matter what, as a sort of gallery policy.
Having to set up permissions like that is sad and of course lowers the number of hits by legitimate users as well (as many users just don't log in or register because they are not aware of restrictive permissions), however it's the only safe method permissions-wise. Applying a silly no-right-click script wouldn't have kept those perverts away from stealing the pics nor from applying other sinister abusive stuff they are up to.
Bottom line: I can understand perfectly well that you're concerned about image theft. Applying a no-right-click script is not a bright move though, as it will only keep legitimate users away. Morons and abusers will be able to steal your images no matter what. You better try to apply other methods of keeping abusers away by not showing them sensitive pics in the first place. You can trust us here; we have really made up our minds on this issue.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.