Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble installing Coppermine with Imagemagick.  (Read 5332 times)

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
Trouble installing Coppermine with Imagemagick.
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »

Hello.
I've recently installed at my work the Coppermine library.
Unfortunately, GD is not available, and i can't stop the webserver to upgrade GD.
So, i've downloaded imagemagick and installed it.
I've set Coppermine to use Imagemagick to resize the pictures, i've set the valid path /usr/local/bin, where the convert utility lies, i've tried running convert utility and it works.
But when i try to add some files, the thumbnails are not displayed and the files are not added. No error message is displayed.
Could you help me configure Coppermine?
I'm using it on another server with GD and it works fine.
Any help would be appreciated.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Trouble installing Coppermine with Imagemagick.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:45 am »

Coppermine doesn't need actual configuration if you're sure that the path to ImageMagick is set up correctly, as this is the only config setting that is actually related to ImageMagick in the first place (except the general toggle "method to resize images" that switches between ImageMagick and GD; make sure that you have set this up correctly). The webserver needs to be set up properly instead. Usually, when self-hosted, the permissions are the cause for your issue: either the user the webserver runs under doesn't have the needed permissions to access and execute ImageMagick (by default, on standard setups, the apache user doesn't have the privilege to run apps outside the webroot out of the box). However, if coppermine can't execute ImageMagick's convert executable, there should be an error message saying so. Another possible cause for your issues is permissions (CHMOD) on the albums folder: make sure that they are set up as suggested in the docs (there is a langthy section in the docs about setting permissions). Make sure to have read the section carefully. If you need further help, provide the needed information about your webserver setup (like OS, IIS vs. Apache etc.).
Your issue is not related to install, but to uploading (as it is uploading pics that you have issues with), so I'm moving your thread accordingly. If you need further help, read the upload troubleshooting section of the docs and do exactly as suggested there.

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:25:20 am »

I've found in the apache log the following error:

"convert: no decode delegate for this image format  "

followed by the path to the image i'm trying to convert.
I guess there is some problem with the convert utility from Imagemagick.
Have you encountered this error message, and if yes, do you know the sollution?

Any help is appreciated.

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:09:48 am »

I've tried to reinstall Imagemagick, it compiles without error, but when i try to use the convert utility, it gives me the same error.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:37:06 pm »

I remember reading about that error being related to a bad version of ImageMagick.  What version do you use?  Have you tried upgrading to the latest version of ImageMagick?  Also, what type of image are you trying to convert?  Is it one that ImageMagick supports?
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:50:18 am »

For a start, perform the tests that come with the ImageMagick installer. Test if they work as expected. If they don't, you'll have to look into your ImageMagick setup first before trying to use it from within Coppermine. There's little we could do to help you set up ImageMagick in the first place.

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 06:24:27 pm »

Well, i've tried different versions of Imagemagick, the all build ok, but gives me the same error.
Unfortunatly, the Imagemagick forum is not working, because i can't create an account.
Thanks for your help, the problem is not related to Coppermine any more, so i guess i'll have to start looking for a sollution for imagemagick.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:55:50 pm »

Unfortunately, GD is not available, and i can't stop the webserver to upgrade GD.
A small amount of downtime should be acceptable. You should really consider using GD, which comes bundled with PHP already. I suggested upgrading your PHP install and configure it to come with GD. 10 minutes of downtime should be acceptable imo.

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 11:27:33 pm »

Yes, that's true. But, unfortunately, i don't know how to add GD support for php, and if something gets messed up, i guess the little downtime becomes a big downtime.

Can you give me some indications on how to add GD support to php(other than rebuilding the sources) on Fedora Core 5 ? (we're using the php version that came with the fedora distribution).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 02:18:02 am »

There's little advice I could give other than to read the PHP manual and the corresponding Fedora resources. Usually, you have to recompile PHP with GD support or go for a package. I don't recommend self-hosting if you're afraid of such stuff.

trex_daemon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 10:43:23 pm »

Thanks for help Guys. Keep up the good work.
I have another linux personal server, but i wanted to add album to the one at work (i'm a kind of system admin there).
But i'll leave it alone for now and wait for a better time to experiment with fedora and packages (i like slack better :) )

Nibbler

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 12:34:14 am »

Code: [Select]
yum install php-gd
/sbin/service httpd restart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.