Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up the default language doesn't works  (Read 8201 times)

must

• Coppermine newbie
Setting up the default language doesn't works
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:50:54 pm »

I uses cpg1.4.10.
I can't change the default language. When I change "the default language" in the "Language & Charset settings" category and then clicks "Save new configuration" it saves everything except the default language.
What shell I do?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Setting up the default language doesn't works
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:03:18 pm »

Go to your config page by adding the parameter lang=yourlanguage, e.g. http://yoursite.tld/your_coppermine_folder/admin.php?lang=yourlanguage
An example for the demo page would be http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/admin.php?lang=dutch - this would set the field to "dutch".
However, you have to understand how coppermine's language system works - here's an excerpt of the docs of the devel branch that apply to cpg1.4.x as well:
Language

This sets the default language for your gallery. All language files are stored in the lang directory on your server.

Languages and internationalization (often refered to as i18n) is a complicated and complex thing. You (as Coppermine admin) probably don't want to go into details, so this documentation skips the in-depth issues existing with i18n and just gives you an overview how Coppermine handles languages:

By default, language files are unicode encoded files. If you set "Character encoding" to "Unicode (utf-8)" then the script will auto detect the preferred language of your visitors based on what default language is configured in their browsers. If the corresponding language is available in your language directory, it will be used. Otherwise, the default language file will be used.

When the script auto detects the preferred language, it stores the result in a cookie on the visitor's computer. To reset this cookie (and thus force the script to do another auto detection) the user must call this autodetect function with something like: http://yoursite.com/coppermine_dir/index.php?lang=xxx

These steps are performed by the script:

* Step one: Check "has a specific language been set by cookie or URL parameter?". If yes, the gallery will be displayed in that language, all subsequent steps are being skipped
    * Step two: which language has the user set as default language in his browser? If that language exists as Coppermine language file, it will be used - the subsequent step will be skipped.
    * Last step: only if the previous steps both don't apply, the default language that the admin has set up on the config page will be taken into account

If my explanation doesn't work for you, post a link to your coppermine-driven gallery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.