Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails Are Blurry No Matter What  (Read 3587 times)

jaynedArcy

• Coppermine newbie
Thumbnails Are Blurry No Matter What
« on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:09 pm »

I have my thumbnails set to 100 pixels.  I am using GD2 (since finding out my server has GD 2.0.2) and jpeg quality is set to 100. Use Dimension is set to Max Aspect.  I had all of my settings in place BEFORE I uploaded my files.

After they were uploaded, I saw that they were blurry and tried to force a resize under the Admin Tools.  That didn't do anything so I deleted the entire album, re-checked my settings, and uploaded everything again.  Thumbnails are STILL blurry.

http://www.jaynedarcy.us/coppermine/

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:43:20 am by GauGau »

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: Thumbnails Are Blurry No Matter What
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:23:33 pm »

Take a screenshot and attach it to your reply. I just went to your site but i do have perfect thumbnails. Did you empty the internet temp files cache ?

Hein

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:28:45 pm »

jpeg quality is set to 100.
This doesn't make sense - set it to 80%.

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »

Your pics are drawings with a high black/white contrasts.
If you scale them down to thumbnail-size, they won't be as sharp as the originals or even the midsized pics. Maybe this is what you mean when you say "blurry"

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:11 am »

Attached is a screenshot created by Coppermine on your server and another one created with the desktop client IrfanView. I can see nearly no difference.

jaynedArcy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 06:48:04 am »

GauGau - your screenshots, both screenshots look the same, and they look like they've lost resolution.

Also, if I set the quality to 80%, that will look even blurrier.  I set it to 100, which I is 100% quality.  I want my thumbnail res to be as high as possible.

From the Help tip for the Thumbnail Settings Config:  Quality for JPEG files

The quality used for JPEG compression when the script resizes an image. Values can range from 0 (worst) to 100 (best). By default this value is set to 80. This value can be set to 75 when using ImageMagick.
Do not change this setting unless you really know what you're doing. Other settings for thumbnail and intermediate pic (dimensions) may have a significant and undesireable impact on filesizes and image quality.

I have a Flickr gallery and the thumbnails that get created there are sharp and clear.  That's what I want on Coppermine.

I'm wondering now if there is a way for me to upload my own thumbnails to Coppermine instead of using GD2.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:54:40 am »

Please show us an example of sharper thumbnails on Flickr. I simply can't understand your issues - when a pic is resized in dimensions, the result will be an interpolation of pixels that leads to a slight blur effect.

jaynedArcy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:26:16 am »

My apologies, but after talking to a friend who reviewed my gallery on her computers (she's a programmer and has six different ones) we've come to the conclusion that the problem  isn't with coppermine, but my monitor.

Thanks for your time.  Very sorry I wasted it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.