Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: improved permission system  (Read 4496 times)

AlCarpo

• Coppermine newbie
improved permission system
« on: February 20, 2004, 01:33:24 am »

Hi!

I think it would be nice to have a more sophisticated permission allocation. It should be possible to assign one or more group(s) to the various permission categories of an album (view, upload, rate, comment).

itsa

• Coppermine novice
    • itsa
Re: improved permission system
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:09:14 pm »

This one's close enough, so I'll add thoughts here rather than start new topic.

Our albums are houses and the files are construction photos. The photos are taken by builders. Ideally, a builder would be able to upload new photos to one or more specific albums (more than one if they're working on different houses), but not to other albums. Don't wanna use user galleries for this be/c the db is not organized by builder...like all albums in one list...just want to be specific about who can upload to which album. As I understand it so far, I'd have to do all the uploads as the admin, and that's a lot of work.

Hope that helps explain one real-life example of how permissions could make life easier.

Thanks.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 11:06:48 am »

a more granular permission system is being considered for future versions of coppermine, but can't be achieved easily. Bottom line is: will probably be there some day, but there's no date/schedule yet.

Joachim

itsa

• Coppermine novice
    • itsa
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 03:12:54 pm »

Thanks for the answer. My goal was to make the intended use clear. When I developed, I did better with hearing how someone would work with a new feature than just hearing a feature request without that context.

fwiw, and not speaking for others, but in my use, we could handle some pretty severe limitations, if that made development easier. The ol' 80% of utility comes from 20% of the work. For example, psw on an album would work fine, as opposed to having a one-many or many-many on users-albums. For uploads, there'd need to be a way to pick the album before the upload took effect so that orphaned pix didn't persist somewhere. Or a one-to-one on users to albums, i.e., when a user is defined, one attribute (characteristic? always confuse them) is the single album to which they can upload. Makes the upload processing simpler, be/c it can only go one place. Wouldn't need batch upload, either.

btw, this is just me thinking out loud...not being pushy or anything...

summarizing, a field in the user db that would hold the number of the allowed album, and another field in usermgr.php that would be a popup of all albums, and then an upload that's limited to that one album (I don't allow private/user galleries).........that's my 80% solution for as little development effort as I can think of today.

Thanks for humoring me. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.