Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw vs. Header IP?  (Read 4654 times)

Graham J

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://xvi.com
Raw vs. Header IP?
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:57:28 pm »

Hey all,

I don't think this is a support question but excuse me if it is )

Anyway, an anonymous person left a nasty comment on a pic on my gallery. I notice in the comments table in the database there are two fields with IP addresses msg_raw_ip and msg_hdr_ip

My question is what's the difference between these? A request can only come from one host so this confuses me a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham

Nibbler

Raw vs. Header IP?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 05:14:33 pm »

If the user has a simple internet connection, ie 1 computer + modem they will both be the same.

If they are different this means there is some kind of network involved. The raw ip is the ip address of the pc with the internet connection/webcache/proxy. It is used to get the data from the server to the network. Many users within the network could post from this same ip. The header ip is the address of the actual computer within the network, and is used to tell the network which pc actually sent the data.

The raw ip is obtained from the server variable $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REMOTE_ADDR']

The header ip is obtained from the server variable $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] or $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']

Graham J

• Coppermine newbie
    • http://xvi.com
Raw vs. Header IP?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »

Excellent, thank you very much for your detailed and prompt reply. This will help me greatly )

Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.