Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't understand 'Files and Thumbnails' config settings  (Read 3044 times)

GigaPixel

• Coppermine newbie
I don't understand 'Files and Thumbnails' config settings
« on: November 13, 2006, 01:05:50 am »

I'm unable to upload large jpeg files (between 2 -4MB), and have to keep cropping them down to be able to upload them.

In my config settings I have <Max size for uploaded files (KB)> set to 5000KB but this doesn't seem to have any affect.

And I have <Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos (pixels)> set to 1200px.

Most of my camera's photos are between 2MB - 3.9MB and 3264px x 2176px.

But I cannot upload them in their unedited format, I always get '0 files uploaded'.

Is this because the max aspect dimension is set to 1200px? ???

If so, then what's the purpose of the 'Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height' setting if you cannot upload something larger than 1200px in the first place? ???

Surely it'd be better to specify the max aspect dimension within the 'auto resize images' setting and not have an upload limit on file dimensions, as there's already the 'Max file size' setting.

Please can someone make a guess as to what's causing my problem.

Cheers, Ben.

GigaPixel

• Coppermine newbie
Re: I don't understand 'Files and Thumbnails' config settings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:07:56 am »

Forgot to say, I'm running version 1.4.10 with ImageMagick 2.5

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 01:10:31 am »

Please read the sticky thread on this board and the upload troubleshooting section of the docs.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:54:51 am »

As the admin, you shouldn't be uploading via the HTTP interface.  You should batch add.  Read the documentation for details.

Regarding your problem: your server cannot cope with the huge amount of resources it takes to resize those huge dimension images.  You are simply running out of memory and server resources.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

GigaPixel

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:18:41 pm »

Thanks guys - problem solved, it was my 'upload_max_filesize' setting within php.ini that was set at 2MB. It's now 8MB! and working.

Sorry I hadn't read through the sticky thread before submitting this. I didn't have this problem originally - I suspect that the Watermark MOD may have somehow reset this 'upload_max_filesize' setting back to 2MB. This MOD is the only change I've made to the server.

To answer kegobeer, I'm logging in as a 'normal' registered user when I upload files - I don't do this as admin. I'm not too interested in batch-add at the moment. Being able to httpd 'put' 10 files in one go is adequate.

I wasn't getting any error messages, only the '0 files uploaded' confirmation message - I'm sure my server hardware is OK.

But can someone just clarify my understanding of the 'Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos (pixels)' setting. I don't really think this determines the size of image file you can upload. I have this set to 1200px but I can upload much larger files.

Am I right in saying that the latter simply determines the value used by the 'Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height' option?

If so, would it be appropriate to suggest a change of wording within the config settings (sorry if this sounds a bit cheeky coming from such an amatuer!)

Regards, Ben.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:13:47 am »

Please believe me when I say you're running out of memory when attempting to resize large images.  We've seen this time after time after time.  Feel free to Google - you'll discover a rudimentary equation that shows approximately how much memory is required when resizing images.

If you click the question mark next to Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height, it explains how the system works.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

GigaPixel

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 03:08:30 am »

Well it's actually the 'question mark' help file against the 'Max width or height for upload' that my original question concerns.

Clicking on this states: "Limits the height and width dimensions of the pictures that are uploaded."

So going back to my question, how come when I set this to 1200px, I can still upload much large file dimensions?

I'm sure this value determines the threshold beyond which the auto-resize kicks in, not the limit on uploading.

As for running out of memory, I've yet to receive a problem uploading large files since my 'upload_max_filesize' value was set beyond 2MB within php.ini. I'm sure my P4 / 1GB Mem workstation is quite adequate - otherwise I think many users would struggle to run this package. I'm actually quite pleased at how quick it all runs. Network speed will always be the bottleneck for me I think.

Cheers, Ben.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 09:59:48 pm »

Did you read the help topic associated with "Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height"?  Like I said, it does explain everything.  To summarize, the resize ratio you choose (height, width, or max aspect) decides how an image is resized.  If you have 1200 px for height, you can upload images with any width, it's only height that is considered.

Understand?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.