Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiding Child Categories From Main Page?  (Read 6175 times)

nefertirievy

• Coppermine newbie
Hiding Child Categories From Main Page?
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:51:08 am »

Alright here's my question...

I know there has to be a way to do this.  On the "homepage" of my album I've got like, 3 categories available.  One of them, has a child category, and it shows up somewhat underneath the parent category.  Is there a way to hide that on the main page?

I know you can go into your config and change the main display page (breadcrumb/catlist/alblist) but I havnt managed to get that to work.  I know there has to be a way to do it, I just cant figure it out.

I basically want just like the "main" categories showing on the homepage, then, when a user clicks on one of them, if it has a child board, they will then be able to choose that as well, once they are in the main one....thats what i"m trying to accomplish.

IF anyone can help, its much appreciated!

Bruce

Re: Hiding Child Categories From Main Page?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:16:53 am »

Alright here's my question...

I know there has to be a way to do this.  On the "homepage" of my album I've got like, 3 categories available.  One of them, has a child category, and it shows up somewhat underneath the parent category.  Is there a way to hide that on the main page?

I know you can go into your config and change the main display page (breadcrumb/catlist/alblist) but I havnt managed to get that to work.  I know there has to be a way to do it, I just cant figure it out.

I basically want just like the "main" categories showing on the homepage, then, when a user clicks on one of them, if it has a child board, they will then be able to choose that as well, once they are in the main one....thats what i"m trying to accomplish.

IF anyone can help, its much appreciated!

From your Admin menu, click Config, Album List View, and just delete the entry "alblist" to remove albums from the main page.

nefertirievy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:33:28 am »

I did that, but its still there. http://www.aneternallove.com/gallery/index.php 

The one that says DVD, thats what I'm trying to get rid of visibly on the main page.  And its a category within a category, so its not really an album...hmm

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 03:53:10 am »

I did that, but its still there. http://www.aneternallove.com/gallery/index.php 

The one that says DVD, thats what I'm trying to get rid of visibly on the main page.  And its a category within a category, so its not really an album...hmm

I think you'll need one of the developers to help you with that, then. I notice if you click on the "DVD" link, you get a "no images to display" message. I would have thought you'd get albums there. Also, if you click on the link above it ... "The Mummy" you get another display with both category and album information.

It would appear that you may have setup your categories and albums improperly. I don't know why you'd have a category within another category, and albums display above a category. baffling. I haven't a clue how you'd reconcile that - you'll need a more experienced opinion.

nefertirievy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 03:56:34 am »

alright, thank you very much!

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 04:14:45 am »

You can have nested categories in Coppermine however to not show them like you want is not possible without some code change. You might search the forum to see if it's been done.
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

nefertirievy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:47:55 am »

oh okay, thanks!

Sami

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • BMossavari
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:11:19 am »

try this :
config => Album list view => Number of levels of categories to display
and set it to 1
‍I don't answer to PM with support question
Please post your issue to related board

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 07:41:25 am »

Undo the suggested change:
From your Admin menu, click Config, Album List View, and just delete the entry "alblist" to remove albums from the main page.
, because it's wrong. You mustn't remove catlist nor alblist from "the content of the mainpage". Sami's advice is the correct one to accomplish what you're up to.

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 12:27:27 pm »

:-[ Thanks Sami! I think after dealing with the other 2 users last night I had fried my brain. Me of all people show know that since I use that setting in a couple of my themes.

GauGau, we should do away with the manual since no one reads the it away.  ;)
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.

Sami

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • BMossavari
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 12:36:18 pm »

You are most welcome
You are doing very well support man , Even people on flight control tower do mistake ;)

ot:
IMO , we should get Manual test from people and if they pass that test, give them access to support board ;D
‍I don't answer to PM with support question
Please post your issue to related board

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 01:14:48 pm »

I take solace in knowing that there are 1000's of users out there that have done great things with Coppermine because they did read the manual and search the forum for information.

nefertirievy, sorry I got off topic. I hope Sami's reply answered you question.

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 03:33:12 pm »

Undo the suggested change:, because it's wrong. You mustn't remove catlist nor alblist from "the content of the mainpage". Sami's advice is the correct one to accomplish what you're up to.

??? That same advice has been given by supporters time and time again. Why is it wrong now?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 04:03:06 pm »

Because the piece of advice you have given just is wrong; you're welcome to try and do the very thing you advice on your own gallery. You'll notice then that you can't browse your gallery if you do.
Here's why: the main page (aka "index.php") shows both categories as well as albums. On initial view (i.e. when there is no additional parameter in the URL), the categories are being shown (and maybe the albums that reside in it if you have enabled that option in config). However, when choosing a category, index.php is being used to display the albums that reside in the chosen category. If you have removed "alblist" from "the content of the main page", nothing will be shown at all, leaving the user in a dead end.
You can fully trust me: you mustn't remove "alblist" nor "catlist" from "the content of the main page". I know for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.