Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most viewed pics  (Read 7535 times)

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
Most viewed pics
« on: February 16, 2004, 08:00:01 am »

Got a problem with "Most viewed pics".

If I select that  for the whole Gallery, and select a page att the end, then click on an image, I very often will been viewed wrong pic. I will see another pic from the gallery, not the one I choosed.

It works sometimes. I can select same pic a couple of times and get a different pic each time. Sometimes the right one. The strange (?) thing is that the first pages with "Most wieved pics" seems to work as they should.

Please, help...

/Yeppe

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
incorrect image selection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 08:07:20 am »

I saw one more thing.
Its always user, lets call it "A", that is the problem.

If i select a pic from user A, maybe i will see a pic from user B,C,D and more. If I select a pic from user B,C,D and more I maybe get get a pic from user A. I dont think I will see a pic from, lets say, user E. Only A.

[EDIT]If I select "Most viewed pics" from user C or F I sometimes will get wrong pic from their own gallery too...[/EDIT]

Donald whannell

• Coppermine newbie
    • Neilston webcam photogallery
Incorrect image selection from thumbnail
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 08:22:19 pm »

I having found a strange problem regarding the incorrect selection of a matching image from the thumbnail, ie the picture you get isn't what was in the thumbnail.  

As far as I can tell it is only happening in the 'most viewed' option. Within the actual albums it appears ok.  The problem is not consistant, you can click two or three thumbnails and get the correct image and then get a wrong one, I can't as yet see any pattern in when it is selecting wrong images.

I had a search for this problem in the forum and saw one message that appeared to be the same thing but no reply to it.

The gallery can be found at

http://www.drookitagain.com/coppermine/index.php

This is a new install and up until a user spotted this I thought it was working ok.

Thanks for any help

Donald

P.S.  despite this problem I think its a great piece of software  :D

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 08:51:34 pm »

I got the same problem and wrote about it earlier today.

I looked in a friend of mines gallery too and the problem was the same in his gallery.

I have notised that the problem seems to appear more often at the last pages of the "Most viewed" group. Strange...

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 08:54:00 pm »

Hi, in the most viewed album, the link from each thumb does not give a link to that specific picture, but to whichever picture is in that position in the database, i.e., the most viewed pic will have the link '..../displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=0'.

This of course changes dynamically, as the pics are viewed.

So what can happen is you load the page, and while you are looking at it, someone else looks at a pic, which changes the order in the database.

Now you click on a thumb, which was in one place when you loaded the page, and see the pic that is in that place now.  

The more pics you have, and the more views you get, the less likely this is to happen.  Also, the longer you leave the page up without refreshing, the more likely it is, espesially if you use the back button to return to the most viewed page.

Hope this all made sense to you.

ps.  removed accidental double post and merged threads.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »

So what can happen is you load the page, and while you are looking at it, someone else looks at a pic, which changes the order in the database.

But if I am sure I am the only one in the gallery and watching?

The more pics you have, and the more views you get, the less likely this is to happen.

I hope you are right!  :wink:  My gallery quite new.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:35:56 pm »

Quote from: "yeppe"
But if I am sure I am the only one in the gallery and watching?

You can affect this yourself.  Say you click on the 6th thumb, you see that pic, and it is promoted because you have looked at it.  It might now be number 2.
now you click the back button, so you see the unrefreshed previous page, which still shows that thumb at position 6.  Now you click on thumb 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, and you get the wrong pic, because these all went down one when you looked at pic 6 and promoted it.
If you had refreshed the page, this would not happen, because the thumbs would be in the correct places.

Quote from: "yeppe"
I hope you are right!  :wink:  My gallery quite new.

This may always happen when there are several pics all with about the same number of views, and so is more noticable with recently uploaded pics, but will not happen if you refresh the page.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Donald whannell

• Coppermine newbie
    • Neilston webcam photogallery
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 10:10:43 pm »

Quote from: "casper"

Hope this all made sense to you.

ps.  removed accidental double post and merged threads.

Thanks for the quick response, and yes, it does make sense, infact I should have figured that out myself.  As was pointed out each picture has maybe only had one view since its a new gallery... and refreshing the page does fix it.   And apologies for the double entry.

Regards,  Donald

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 03:57:04 am »

posting a link to your gallery might help... :wink:

GauGau

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 07:14:17 am »

I found another thread with the same discussion.
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=3834

However, this "problem" seems to appear in all newer galleries.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 07:44:32 am »

I merged the two threads. Still I'd like to take a look at this, so please post a link to your gallery.

GauGau

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 07:48:14 am »

Quote from: "gaugau"
I merged the two threads. Still I'd like to take a look at this, so please post a link to your gallery.

GauGau

Ahh... Sorry! It's to early in the morning!  :oops:
Mine is http://www.geckoguiden.com/cpg/
Another http://www.kryptoniten.se/gallery/

Check the pages at the end and "Most Viewed". Then you will see the problem, sometimes.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 11:26:54 am »

Hi Yeppe,
well I'm stumped on this one.  Yes it is happening, and is not due to browser problems.  I had it happen on several occasions, but they were all when both pics had the same number of views, and there were lots of pics with the same number.

yeppe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 08:37:25 pm »

Thank you anyway!

Maybe it will be better when the gallery has been up running for a while. It's just a couple of days now. Hope so!

Except this, the gallery works really great!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 06:51:13 am »

please give us feedback in some days. If the problems persists, will have to move this thread to the "Bugs" section and start a tracker. For now, we'll just observe.
If anybody else is having similar problems, please report by replying to this thread.
Thanks

GauGau

Psychic

• Coppermine newbie
Most Viewed link errors
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 07:40:18 pm »

I've noticed that the Most Viewed thumbnail view gives incorrect links when someone else is browsing at the same time.

It would seem, that as another is browsing, the list of Most Viewed changes by whatever they are looking at therefore invalidating or shifting the links of the thumbnail page I have open, as most of the time, the image is shifted by one or two.

When no-one else is browsing it seems to work ok.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, does anyone have a fix for this? Or should I just de-activate the most viewed section?

In case it helps, the gallery is situated at:

http://www.Sleeping-Dragons.co.uk

then follow the LARP Gallery link

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004, 08:35:09 pm »

Hi Psychic,

merged your post with topic dealing with this.  let us know if this helps.

Flips

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 02:17:18 pm »

Hello!

casper is right with the problem's explanation. A solution could be that the link to the full-size image is not constructed like this:

Code: [Select]
displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=5
but somehow like the other links on the thumbnail-pages:

Code: [Select]
displayimage.php?album=2&pos=1

It shouldn't be tough to find out the album-id and pic-id for each of the pics in order to build up these links.

Any further ideas or someone to code that?

Have a nice day,
Felipe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.