Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Can not play the movie file.  (Read 3361 times)

Craig Walsh

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Lucies Farm Ltd.
Re: Can not play the movie file.
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:52:23 am »

I am just getting ready to also upload small video files to our gallery at www.bark.ch

I experimented with this today, and read the CPG manual and the various forum postings.  I couldn't get the videos to play, and I think (from reading these postings) that the problem might simply be that the videos are too long.  I can convert the videos into smaller Flash videos, but it seems that Flash videos won't play with CPG 1.4.6, which is what we have.  When I tried to upload a .FLA file, I got a message telling me that this was a "forbidden file extension."

I have, on our server, something called Flash Communications Server (now Flash Media Server).  I bought this in early 2005 when I was enthusiastic about putting video clips on our website, and never used it.  (In retrospect, I should have used it a lot --- and started something like YouTube.  Oh well.)

I understand that the main purpose of Flash Communications Server is to allow viewers to start looking at a video clip before it completes the download.  My FCS license allows for 50 concurrent views.  The newer version allows 2,500 concurrent views -- and costs $4,500.  (If I were to upgrade, it's a snip at a mere $1,900.   :o )  FCS also makes it easier for viewers to pause a video clip, or to rewind it.

I'm still reading FCS manuals and trying to figure out how this all fits together.  But if the main purpose of FCS is to allow folks to start watching a video before it completes the download process, is there a way to incorporate this into CPG?

I think FCS is fairly obscure software, and it seems to be used by large companies (like Nike and Ben & Jerry) with sites that make extensive use of video.  I was just hoping that someone out there would have some familiarity with FCS and CPG, and could help me to figure out if they fit together.

I'm trying to achieve something like this, but (if possible) within CPG:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/flashpro/video/gallery/

In this Adobe site, I love how the thumbnails get larger when you move your cursor over them, and the videos start to play.  I'd love something like this, where double-clicking the thumbnail will then produce a larger video.

I've read the info about customising thumbnails.  I'd be happy if folks could click on a thumbnail of a video, and have it start playing fairly quickly (courtesy of Flash Communications Server?).

Thanks for your help.

Craig Walsh
CPG Photo Gallery - www.bark.ch
Member of the Association of Photographers (AOP)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Can not play the movie file.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:57:28 pm »

CPG 1.4.6, which is what we have.
We have no recommendations except "Upgrade!". Your issue differs, splitting from the thread you originally posted in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.