Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered By Question  (Read 4497 times)

fareforce

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • Who are you calling a weasel?
    • Alaska Studio
Powered By Question
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:12:19 am »

My coppermine is modified quite a bit, and I was wondering if it would be ok if I changed the "Powered by Coppermine Photo Gallery" to "Originally created by Coppermine Gallery" and also add target="_blank"?

I am not asking how, as I already know where the code is, I am just wondering if it is okay to change the wording. I still want to give you guys credit though!

~fareforce
Anchorage, AK
Home of the frozen weasel
http://www.alaskastudio.com

h4nh4n

• Translator
  • Coppermine novice
  • God loves you!
    • Indonesian Actress
Re: Powered By Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:38:20 pm »

I guess you can open in the new windows, sticked on this forum...
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=25580.0

But I'm scared whether allowed or not to change the texts...
Artis Indonesia - Albums of Indonesian Actresses
Johan Ng - Personal Website

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:35:43 am »

fareforce: I'm surprised to hear that you modified your gallery so much that it's no longer "Powered by Coppermine". 

I would guess that the most heavily-hacked Coppermine is still 90-95% "pure" Coppermine.  Remember that theme customizations are not really hacks and are usually heavily based on the core code and that plugins are not hacks either.

From section 2c of the Coppermine license (quoted in the link h4nh4n mentioned), the text is "appropriate copyright notice".  I guess we could quibble about what's "appropriate" with regards to the level at which the Coppermine core code is replaced by new code, but seeing as how all dev team members and contributors/translators voluntarily donate their time & effort to the project, I cannot imagine anyone taking extra time to argue this.

I, for one, would say that the base level is to make sure there is a clear copyright notice on every page that is generated with Coppermine code.  What that notice specifically says is up to you, but I urge you to re-consider how much of Coppermine core code is left on your site.  As I said, I don't want to argue about this, but it goes hand-in-hand when you use open-source code that you give credit where credit is due and that you make sure that the credit is "appropriate".

fareforce

• Alaska Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:49:25 am »

I totally agree with giving creedit where credit is due. I still want to display the copyright on all pages, just make the wording a little more "glamorous". What I have is:

Original Code by Coppermine Gallery
Modified by Travis Tollefsen - Alaska Studio

This is replacing the original text, and the "Original Code by Coppermine Gallery" is all one solid hyperlink making it easier to click on. I just want to make sure that this is not going to get me in trouble. If I need to I can revert back to the default code rather quickly!

Do you think this is okay? I love the code, and the last thing I want to do is make someone made. You guys have helped me way to much for that!  ;D
~fareforce
Anchorage, AK

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:59:38 am »

Original Code by Coppermine Gallery
Modified by Travis Tollefsen - Alaska Studio

I think this wording is appropriate & acceptable, but that's just my view.  Hopefully one of the "older" devs will weigh in.

The original wording you mentioned was inappropriate in my eyes because it implied a history that gave less credit to the Coppermine project than appropriate, hence my comments above.  But I may have read too much into those 5 words.  In any case, your new wording sounds good to me.

fareforce

• Alaska Studio
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:12:08 am »

ok.. cool.. I also made the "Original Code by Coppermine Gallery" a light grey color (my background color is black), and the "Modified by Travis Tollefsen - Alaska Studio
" is directly below, in a dark grey color.

Is the you want to preview it, you can see it at http://www.alaskastudio.com/gallery

I guess if any of the mods don't like it, shoot me an email, or pm and I will change it ASAP!..
~fareforce
Anchorage, AK

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:32 am »

I still don't like the idea to change the line. Others will request a similar thing if we "officially allow" you to do as you suggested. I can see little reason for changing the line, after all the wording "Powered by" vs. "Original code" doesn't mean much to your site's visitors, but it does mean much to the Coppermine community. It's perfectly OK to add the line "Modified by Travis Tollefsen - Alaska Studio" underneath the tag, but I'd prefer if you left the "Powered by" line untouched.
Quite frankly, I can only see minimum changes in Coppermine's core code on your site - imo it's the classic theme wrapped into a black background, with menu colors changed and a shopping cart hack applied. As Paver suggested, it's still 99% Coppermine core code.
You see, we don't have a bunch full of lawyers we could send after you, so we have little chance to start an argument or even force you to restore the original copyright note. All we can do is ask you to you restore the copyright notice as it used to be as a token of gratitude to all the countless hours coders and contributors have spent working on the project.
I'd like to see this discussion ended without further arguing (no matter how you decide), as threads like this with a heated debate over such issues will only lead people like Sigi and others into believing that they could do whatever they please.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.